Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi 2brl, Weber, Or SPFI?

I have the carter weber right now and im really sick if it hessitating on me. Ive had a hitachi before and it did the same thing.

My question is has anyone had a hitachi that didn't hessitate when it was warm? If so i would think that would be my best bet for all around ease of hookup. I don't want to get rid of all my emissions stuff cause i still need to pass. Ive heard a place mentioned on here that was supposed to have very good remanufactured carbs. I don't remember the name of it though. Anyone know what im talking about?

I also was just on ebay looking at Hitachi's from other cars. It looks like it wouldn't take too much work for a chevy luv hitachi to bolt up or an old nissan hitachi. Anyone have anything to say about this?

SPFI is very tempting but the wiring is what scares me. I do realize that with any of these options i will need either an EA81 2brl manifold or an EA82 SPFI manifold.

Im looking for about the same or better fuel economy (currently getting 27mpg on the highway), and a bit better performance. Lets the opinions begin!!

Hatchsub,

I was just in Guilford yesterday and will probably go back up this week,maybe even tomorrow night.

There's a free '87 EA82 but it has the carb.,not SPFI.If you'd like anything that I don't want you're welcome to it.Can't yank the engine or tranny unless you're superquick.My tow guy friend hates to waste time.Outside chance you could follow us back and get anything large out of it,but we can't do it in Guilford.

The car is an '87 GL wagon with the D/R 5spd.Engine runs but was a little oily and not what I'd call excellent....but it ran.Exhaust leaks,interior had wicked mildew smell.

Hey if i was to convert to hitachi from Carter-Weber all i have to do is swap manifolds? Is there any rewiring or is it all a plug in deal with the electric choke? Thanks for any help guys.

I done it last year. Simple conversion really. Swapping manifolds is 90% of the work. You may have to alter your throttle cable somewhat to line up to the Hitachi, but I found it pretty easy.

Right now I'm swapping from the hitachi to the Weber 32/36. Carb and adapter kit should be in today.

In my experience... The Hitachi is better than the Carter 1bbl, and have heard that the 32/36 is much better than both of the others. I'll find out in the next day or so..

I had some experience working on the Hitatchi's that came on the old Datsuns.

If you were to go that route, the older the better. The carbs from the mid to late 70's were still very basic, and fully adjustable. Even the electronic chokes were adjustable, and this solved a lot of the finnicky "cold start" problems everyone complains about. In fact, if you drilled out the housing rivets and installed screws, the chokes on the newer ones can probably be adjusted too.

The ones from about 81 on, are very similar to the Hitatchi's found on our Subes. All the same disadvantages. People ***************ed about them then, just as they do now...

good luck, John

Weber 32/36 came in yesterday. The swapover from the Hitachi to the Weber is pretty straight forward. Took about 1-1/2 hour for everything (remove old, remove studs, install new, hook ups, etc..). The kit had everything needed. Throttle cable lined up perfectly. Cranked it up late last night once everything was hooked up. Didn't have time to follow the instructions for tuning, so I'll get to the tuning either this evening or tomorrow.

Sounds easy. Thanks for the update. Where did you get the kit from? I only have the carb right now. Let me know how the tuning goes and any other snags or mods you might run into. Thanks

I bought the entire kit (carb and adapter kit) from:

http://www.webercarburetors.com/

Call them about the adapter kit. Comes with adapter, gaskets, bolts and nuts to hook up the Weber.. Adapter kit is like $40...

Weber 32/36 came in yesterday. The swapover from the Hitachi to the Weber is pretty straight forward. Took about 1-1/2 hour for everything (remove old, remove studs, install new, hook ups, etc..). The kit had everything needed. Throttle cable lined up perfectly. Cranked it up late last night once everything was hooked up. Didn't have time to follow the instructions for tuning, so I'll get to the tuning either this evening or tomorrow.

Hey how did the weber work out? Better than the hitachi? Was it easy to tune or a pain in the butt?