Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi 2brl, Weber, Or SPFI?

Hey how did the weber work out? Better than the hitachi? Was it easy to tune or a pain in the butt?

I had Friday off and had planned to take it out and tune it.. Note: My EA81 is in boat.. I have to run it in the water for a couple of reasons:

1. The engine is keel cooled, so the boat needs to be in the water to keep the engine coolant, uh, cool...

2. The engine is coupled to a straight drive system. When you crank it, it goes. So it needs to be in the water because the prop shaft spins when the engine is running. If it is not in the water, then the cutlas bearing on the shaft strut will burn up. A cutlas bearing is nothing but an underwater rubber bushing for the shaft. The water lubricates it and keeps the rubber from from burning.

Anyway, Friday was a wash because I had to prepare for a cochon-de-lait (pig roast) at my house on Saturday, and I had out of town relatives coming in for that. Saturday was cooking, drinking and partying.. After a handful of Advils and cleaning up after the party on Sunday, it started raining....

Maybe this evening!!!! I need to get it done in the next day or so because hunting season opens on Saturday.. I need the boat to go hunt in the marsh..

• 2 weeks later...

A late update due to the start of hunting season...

I finally took out the boat and ran it for a while to tune the carb. Played with the idle mixture and timing until everything was running smooth. Not too difficult to adjust the 32/36. According to the instructions, if the idle mixture screw is out more than 2-1/2 turns to get it tuned, then the carb more than likely needs the next size up in larger jets to get the most out of it. I have the screw set at about 3-1/4 turns to get it running smooth, but it runs fine like it is. Good low end response and high end performance.

After using the boat for a couple of weeks, I do find one nice thing about the Weber... It does not burn near as much fuel as the old Hitachi.

In summary:

The conversion to the Weber was relatively simple to do. Tuning was fairly easy, but took a bit of time to get it just right. Better performance AND better fuel efficiency. I will honestly say that it was money well spent..