Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How about some slotted/cross drilled rotors!

YES, they exist!!

http://www.raceshopper.com/sp_subaru.shtml

Application is listed as 90-94 Loyale 4WD, but they should fit all 85-94 L-series, Loyale, and XT. I'm a firm believer in slotted rather than drilled, so those are the ones I asked about- $171.39 a pair, a bit steep but still in the ball game for rotors. According to the guy I talked to, they're in stock and ready to ship!

Prices aren't listed online, you'll have to call them. They seem to be a small company- I got a real person after two rings of the phone, and he seems friendly to deal with.

Those of you with XT6 hubs can use previous gen (92-2000, I think) Chevy Cavilier/Sunfire front rotors. Brembo makes both blank rotors and Sport slotted or drilled for the Cavy, and thus the XT6.

I've got em on my XT Turbo (XT6 hub swap) and they work great! I paid $150 a pair on eBay.

It was my understanding that the main reason for crossdrilled or slotted rotors was to release gasses formed under hard use of older generation brake pads. Modern performance pads no longer gas off in this manner so the venting is no longer neceasary. Full faced rotors present the largest surface area and have been shown to provide the best performance with modern pads.

I have also read that slotted and crossdrilled rotors that were not cast that way, but instead machined from solid blank rotor will almost always develop cracks under hard use. From a metallurgical point of view this makes some sense, as the cast in features will have a surface grain flow that will reduce stress risers when compared with machining.

Just what I've read on the subject

Gary

i was looking to beef up braking as well and from the responses i got it seemed that drilled/slotted weren't necessarily the best upgrade. better pads seemed the way to go, but i'm not brake expert. they afraid to spend the loot or is that for real? i'm new to the brake upgrade scene and trying to learn. i'd like to know more about it. dont' see many dyno charts for brakes, so it's hard to compare actual data/results.

It was my understanding that the main reason for crossdrilled or slotted rotors was to release gasses formed under hard use of older generation brake pads.

Slotted rotors "cut" into the brake pad to keep the friction surface fresh. Uses pads much faster, increased dust, harder initiial bite. Faster stops from my very limited experience.

From what I understand, the purpose of slotting is to allow the rotor to cool more efficiently, reducing fade. Shouldn't actually make the car stop faster. And in this town, which is nestled between a number of mountains, I experience fade just through regular driving on the stock rotors. When I went to slotted on my old Nissan, I noticed a significant reduction in the amount of fade.

As for the price... usually you can expect to pay $150 for a good set of performance rotors (unless they're for a Honduh or some other typically riced car), so $170 is a bit high, but still in the ballpark.

That site also offers street performance brake pads, but I never asked about them for our cars.