Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proof of the Elusive Subaru Diesel!

robm

I just skimmed the page but it says "Subaru diesel engine built at the VRI". Does not sound like a Subaru production engine.

More interesing to me is the "Turbocharged, intercooled natural gas 4 cylinder Subaru which set a record at Bonneville Salt Flats for methane fuel".

"Vehicle Research Institute at Western Washington University". Funny how that seems to be the soob Mecca in the USA.

Western had a grant from Subaru to design a new engine, I have seen the prototypes, the engine which Subaru put into production from this grant work was the EJ SOHC series engine (89-94 series). There has been a close working relationship between Western and Subaru. When Dr. Seals officially retired (he still hangs around the shop) he was working on a V12 engine that one half was N/A and the only turbocharged, the engine would run on the N/A half of the engine until extra power was needed, then the turbo side would cut in. Oh yea, the engine was mostly composite.

he was working on a V12 engine that one half was N/A and the only turbocharged, the engine would run on the N/A half of the engine until extra power was needed, then the turbo side would cut in. Oh yea, the engine was mostly composite.

:slobber: and I'm spent

No, it wasn't a production engine, but it was probably the source of the rumours about a Subaru diesel.

UBC is also doing some cool stuff with engine fueling systems. Stratified charge diesel, running off methane, with just enough diesel fuel squirted in at just the right time to ignite the methane, and now dual injection systems, injecting both methane and diesel near TDC, all with a view to come up with a really efficient and practical hydrogen engine. This is mostly applicable for big engines, like bus up to ferry size, but this technology could make its way down the scale to the car size engines.