Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX without a hatch???

So I know a lot of you would be like "Wtf for?" but we have great sunny weather down here 99% of the time. So what I was wondering is if the rear hatch on the RX is providing structural integrity at all? That glass weighs a lot.. so Maybe I could replace it with a roll bar if there is a structural integrity issue? but I would kinda like to just take it off for nice summer cruises in the mountains. What do you all think? or maybe even go so far as turning it into a brat style RX? Remove the rear seats completely.. remove the rear interior and rhino line the "bed".. seal up the cabin behind the front seats... :brow:

The 3dr truck has been done. Pics on the internet somewhere. Ross in Idaho has the tonneau covered 3dr. He did his for offroad purposes. Didn't want to break the glass in the woods. I'm sure when closed it provides some sort of structural integrity. But Arizona seems the perfect place to remove a hatch. You could remove the hatch and try it before anything permenant(?) is tried

Yeah.. the most i'll do is probably remove it to cruise around and then put it back on at the end of the day... i like the view out the rearview mirror with the hatch open :) it would be fun to cruise around with a few friends with the hatch off up in the mountains... I'll take pics when I do it!