Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Top Speed?

97mph, downhill

SPFI EA82 5spd with 30" mud king tires. With the check engine light on.

Burtonsnowman- I bet the tires on my car were as loud as the exhaust on the legacy. They are insanely loud.

The thing to consider most about speed is the tires you have on the car. many tires are not rated for speeds over 85 mph, meaning that tread separation and carcass failure are possibilities. So doing 150mph on tires that were ment for <85 is stupid. I can gaurantee you will not maintain controll if a tire disintegrates at that speed.

With my 3AT when I was stock 97mph.

After the rebuild with 3AT and 10psi 110mph topped out in 3rd gear

After 5-speed D/R 3.90 Swap and 10psi 115mph

After Injectors, Engine Managment, MSD Coil, 2.25inch Exhaust, Gutted Air Box, and 7psi 125mph.

At 125 it didnt feel good at all, the air ride is just too soft and the tires are too small at those speeds it gets unstable, not to mention the wind drags the crap out of my car and throws it all over the place. The engine has the power but the car REALLY needs to be lower and stiffened up before its worthy of speeds over 100mph.

My 90 Acura Legend L Coupe 5-speed with Intake, Full Exhaust, Advanced Timing, Sports suspension and Brembo Racing Brakes has been up to 150mph (5th gear revlimter) several times without a problem and stayed very well mannered.

The suubies have the gears but they dont have the control so I'll never attempt 120+ in my subaru, its just not built for it.

These are slightly different cars, but I've had my fiancee's '93 Loyal(4wd 5sp) at 90mph, as fast as it would go on flat ground, my sold(and now reowned) '88 GL would pull past 90mph, but I ran out of guts. My '92 Loyal(2wd auto) has pushed 100mph and was still pulling, but I've been tinkering with it........

Don

Pictzie

:brow: