Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newbee needs help with an 86 stock brat!!

welcome to the board!

a good suggestion, from my experience- start with general clean up, tune up (plugs, wires, cap+rotor, disty advance check/adjustment w/timing light, oil changes (all fluids+filters, dont forget the fuel filter near the tank, not just the one up front) and then some fuel system cleaner (not STP brand)

and just a tip, many of us have discovered.. that OEM parts work the best (dont go cheap, its not worth it) especially when it comes to the plugs+wires, ect...

synthetic oil will work well, by reducing friction in the engine- also reducing the running temp. but it may cause it to leak- so only use it after a reseal!

when you drive the car, it helps to bring it close to redline occationally when driving, this will cause the fuel/air/exhaust to flow faster thru the motor, and "clean out" some of the carbon and crud buildup on the valves, ect..

hope some of this may help.. then the big mods come later, (or sooner, if you want to skip the above mentioned and go right for the "EJ22 swap, see the conversion forum for that)

The age-old questions are "how fast do you want to go" and "how much do you want to spend?":grin:

For me it isn't "how fast do I want to go" its "how quick do I want to get to that speed" Think about it, whats more fun, driving 120mph, or getting to 60mph in 6 seconds? I've seen a few subies with super charges. Well, I've seen one in person, and I've heard of another. the one a saw was in a buggy with a EA82t (with out the turbo, and the fuel injector spots welded up.) I can imagin that would be fun. So, I'm not sure about all of you, but acceleration is my drug.

I don't suggest trying to mod out the EA81, its just not worth the money :(

EJ engines are the go. All you need is an adapter plate and it fits right on the older style gearboxes. The hard thing for some people is the wiring loom. But theres so much writin up about the swap on this forum. And if you have any problems, just post a msg! :)