Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 HID's

I am making a claim to have the first ea81 to have HID conversion on the old 86 hatch. Just picked up bosch interchangeable lenses and waiting for my ballast system in the mail and then let there be light! If anyone has donethis already post it up. Will have pics soon as I get them.

My bosch headlights were $100, only decent interchangeable I could find for the subey. My friend work for an auto accessory place so I am getting the whole HID kit for 150. HID's are expensive but the hatch will be even more one of a kind. Also thinking about getting some IPF rally lights and lighting up the world.

just so you know, thoose cheapy HID kits are all garbage (and yes even if they use philips ballasts)

..teh only correct way to use an hid setup is for it to be inside something that is designed for that type of bulb ie; it needs to be in a HIDprojector . ....composite headlamps and thoose clear h4 converison lamps do not have the "reflection design" to properly project the hid pattern..

example http://hidtech.com/view/1064770217

this info comes from first hand experiance of "learning from mistakes" due to setting up a true hid system in a honda (no it was not mine)

however, since the h4 conversion lamps are crystal clear, you can do a retro fit into them.

hope that helps

point taken, wasn't sure if HID was something totally specific or of HID was part of the "H4" thing, hence the *may*. Either way I'm pleased I did even "the cheap-rump roast-crappy-junk" verson as they're better than my old cheesy rectangular lights and look an ell'of'a'lot cooler IMO.

- Erik -

ya its not totally professional oem, hey its an 86 subaru, better than halogen and lame cool blues or whatever. I have audi ballasts and piaa bulbs and will be hooking it all up this weekend. it should be nice clear white purple and not blue with the kelvin rating i have trying to get as far away from blue as possible. i was beat u were before me.

..teh only correct way to use an hid setup is for it to be inside something that is designed for that type of bulb ie; it needs to be in a HIDprojector . ....composite headlamps and thoose clear h4 converison lamps do not have the "reflection design" to properly project the hid pattern..

example http://hidtech.com/view/1064770217

this info comes from first hand experiance of "learning from mistakes" due to setting up a true hid system in a honda (no it was not mine)

I think I'm confused. That picture is of a standard Euro-spec low beam pattern (meaning that is the pattern required in Europe). You can get that pattern out of any 'E-code' lens/reflector combo. Is that what you mean? That the 'E-code' pattern is optimized for HID lights but the American-mandated pattern (which is different) is not? The American-market cars with HIDs seem to work pretty well. Can you help me understand?