Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who purchased John Bloom's RX?

I know he didn't swap pistons, I helped him do the swap, nights before wcss6

Thanks for the info.

I got the RX... it's a somewhat happy Canadian now. Though I timed the purchase pretty badly because not long after I had her home the #4 rings & piston cracked on me. Horrible horrible power loss and oil guzzling anytime boost would come on. For the longest time I thought it was a nackered turbo, and even bought a second unit as a replacement. When that didn't fix the problem I had the original one rebuilt ($440 later) and reinstalled to experience the same phenomena. I then admitted defeat, and started chasing engine internals. Compression check revealed 130 on #1-3 and 60psi on #4. That was it, I've just spent the last 2months on complete motor teardown, and practically any wear item I could replace is now new, including 4 new pistons. Engine is back together and reinstalled into car (after getting the run-around from the stupid cam timing procedure... Thanks USMB for giving me the help for that non-sense). I got 170psi on all four cylinders now, and I opted to keep the motor with carbbed pistons; because there's nothing quite like 9.0:1 compression with a turbo, wheeeeee! That car sure does bark too, i love it. So now I'm in the break-in phase, and just making sure everything is hunky-dory. The oil pressure gauge was working before but now it doesn't indicate (needle moves very slighly though), so I'm a little worried something might be wrong with the oil system. I have yet to remove the sensor and fit an external gauge for pressure measurement. I also get this horrible howl/squeel from the front at the initial 1-2mins of startup... it comes & goes with revving engine. It's gotta be a belt or pulley somewhere, sounds like it's coming from oilpump vicinity.

Anyways, yea, I have the car. The only two breathers I can recall on the motor are those that come out of either valve cover. Otherwise I can't picture any other breather devices on the backside by the bellhousing. An image of what you want would be helpful.

If you see John any time soon, tell him Rob the Pilot from B.C. says his car is running well. as much as I love working on engines and having the opportunity to tear a "new" one down, I was a little annoyed to have it majorly break not even 100miles after I bought it.