Ultimate Subaru Message Board

see what happens when a rear wheel bearing locks up....

damn, there was weeks of warning noises right? you expected it to happen eventualy right?

thats scary stuff.

actually, about a day of noises.

there was no wheel movement like you see on bad front bearings.

I drove it 210 miles from my parents house to mine. no problems or detectable noises...

I pulled the rear axle, and could hear some noises when I spun the tire. didn't think much of it, since I drove my Yukon with rear bearings going out for 22k miles...

On my first car (the '85 wagon) the rear wheel bearing was worn out, but in a weird way. It ran fine in a straight line, but when cornering (to the right) the bearing would make a grinding sound.

I never ended up changing the bearing out - other electrical problems ended up finally killing the car (stupid mice!)

I put at least 60k miles on the car with the rear wheel bearing that way - just goes to show you how flat and straight all of the roads around here are... :-\

i am legend:rolleyes: it was fun. too bad the original post got deleted

when miles does it, its criminal. when mcbrat does it, its an experiment... lol

i realy had no idea they would sieze like that. makes me paranoid now. just one more thing to be scared on my subaru. i always imagine a wheel flying off at 80, or flames out the hood.