Ultimate Subaru Message Board

aftermarket shifters for 5 speed?

Are there any good aftermarket shifters for our beloved subarus? Im kinda an american muscle car fan and want to put a bit of that in my subaru. I was thinking a 6 or 7 inch long shift rod by hurst and a hurst T-handle on top. What do you guys think? Im assuming that im not going to be able to swap out the linkage for hurst linkage but im thinking bolting on a new shift rod and handle would not be that big a deal.

well, i never looked at it too close, but this is something that i always do to my pontiac fieros... just get a shifter from someone who is parting out a 5-speed, and extend the bottom of the shifter as much as possible... or maby in the subes case, you can lift the middle higher, maby 2 inches, and drop the bottom that much, but probably not cut to much off of the top because if you do, then that is a hell of a reach. but anyways, this is just a quik reply, maby kinna confusing, but i could help if needed, its a real easy and cheap way to get a personalized short throw shifter. its real easy to adapt a t-handle onto almost any shifter, they come with adapters, and everything needed.

hope this helps, good luck. any questions feel free to email me richlo65@hotmail.com

I was kinda thinking about something like this with a T-handle on top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/hurst-shifter-handle-ford-mustang-chevy-T5-T-5_W0QQitemZ8013861062QQcategoryZ33736QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will something like that bolt on? I dont know what the linkage looks like seeing as how i don't have the 5 speed yet. Just planning ahead :)

No, that won't bolt on.

Basically, you'll need a hacksaw and a welder to modify your existing shifter. You can lengthen or shorten the throws by changing the height of the shift linkage mount on the shifter, and you can also change the height of the shift knob, depending on your preferences.

Hey Guys This is Jerry, i have a B&M T shifter handle on my hatch chrome looks really great old school. The T handle has half inch fine threads in it they are close to the 12 mm x 1.25 and i use maxuiam strenght locktite on the threads let it set for 8 hours then you are good to go. Shift away hasn't come loose yet in 6 months. When people my age look at my hatch they say was this car built in the 60s and i tell them no i was. Thanks Jerry

• 11 months later...

i would bet one way or another you could make something like that work. thinking about it, the shifter on my old hatch was a b&m. it was threaded on and had a plastic insert over the old threads because the new shifter had a bigger hole to fill. i bet you can buy the plastic thread inserts somewhere.