Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hard starting issues with Weber?

It appears to be all hooked up but i wasn't the one to put it on. The choke works and is electric. I know it isn't the fuel pump sonce once started it will contimue to run but getting it started when cold is a PITA. I was told that the carb is not 32/36 other than that i really have no clue.. the carb came with the car.

Yeah, what Arch said, it should atleast try to start with a couple of spits and sputters.

Cold engine; mash the go pedal to the floor, don't try to start it. Pop the hood and pull the breather and see if the choke butterfly is shut. It should be, if not it needs to be adjusted. Loosen the 3 screws on the choke coil housing and turn it to close choke, retighten screws, see if it'll start and run at high idle, 1200 RPM's. May take a couple trys to get it where it needs to be. There is a specified setting, but I prefer to play with the settings of how much choke and fast idle speed, rather than go with spec. Mainly cause each engine and carb is different.

This will depend on whether or not your throttle cable is adjusted right though. With engine off, have someone hold the go pedal to the floor as you look down the barrels of the carb. Both bores should be wide open. You may have to hold choke plate out of the way. If the throttle plates aren't full open, you need to adjust the throttle cable so they are. The throttle has to go full open in order for the choke to set.

So far, mines working good. Have had a few morning with below 20* temps. 1 mash of the pedal, turn the key and she's running. Wants to do a 2k RPM at first, but a quick blip of the pedal brings her down to a 1,200 RPM. Sits there and purs along 'til I blip the pedal again, then it does the normal idle speed, 7-800 R's. I do think that the heater in the choke works to well though, as the choke opens to soon for my tastes, it's full open within like 2 minutes. Gotta let her warm up for atleast 5 minutes, or it'll want to spit-n-sputter 'til she is warm. After she's warm, it's yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Well went to Qman's place last night and he played with the choke and set it according to his two weberized vehicles and needed to wait till morning to see what would happen.. Choke appears to be working properly now but there seems to be minimal or no gas.. hence it wont fire.. I would say the bowl isn't holding fuel but, as stated b4 it only does it when cold. May have to go knock on Qman's door once again.. In ther interim any ideas?

Fuel filters are two months old and haven't solved the problem since I bought the car.. tried putting fuel in carb with no success. Coil has power and was replaced a few times with known to be good coils. spark plugs were replaced 15k miles ago. just replaced cap and rotor. and Qman did the last timing job on it.. granted that was two years ago but if it works you don't play with it.