Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the advantage to "Manual" mode?

Hi all.

I have a 1993 Impreza L AWD and have often wondered what the advantage is of the "manual mode" on the gear selector (automatic). The same thing was also on my 93 Turbo Legacy.

The owner's manual states:

MANUAL mode is used for driving on slippery surfaces such as snowy roads or mud...

3 position: The transmission holds in the 3rd gear (but shifts automatically between the 2nd and 3rd gear during starting or low speed driving).

2 position: The transmission holds in the 2nd gear.

My question is: What is the advantage of using MANUAL mode as opposed to just putting the gear selector in 1st, 2nd or 3rd? It looks to me like its doing the same thing either way (although I'm likely quite wrong on this point; the only differing I see is that it "holds" second gear as opposed to switching between 1st/2nd. What is the advantage of this?). Please explain any answers as if to a technical neophyte. Thanks!

on my OBW in very hilly roads at highway speeds i use d3 to keep the car in the power band and to reduce the tranny hunting for the right gear. Drive down steep hills, or up steep hills and you wil discover the wonders of engine braking or manual control using the manual gears. ALso starting off in d2 in snow or ice conditions you will never (hopefully) have wheel slip and get stuck.

nipper

er um ... im not sure that is totally right. Drive 3 is to lock out 4th gear and the lockup torque converter. D3 is 1-2-3 upshifts, always has been. D1 is first gear only. D2 is second gear only. This applies only to subarus, not to other cars, as some of them can be odd ( i remeber a GM product being a 1-2 upshift only in d2 .. odd).

Read your owners manual it will tell you.

nipper

I use it all the time. Partially because I wish I really had a manual.

When I'm going sort of slow and want to get on it, but don't want the car to drop all the way down to 1st, I'll use it. Same for 3rd. When I'm near the top of 2nd, and don't want it to drop down and rev the last ~500rpm to redline, I'll use 3rd manual mode.

And yes that is right, nipper. In 3rd, it will shift 1-2-3, and then to 4th if you were to hit redline (~110mph). In 3rd manual, it starts in 2nd and shifts to 3rd, and stays there. In 2nd, it shifts 1-2, and then to 3rd at redline (~70). In 2nd manual, it starts and stays in 2nd until redline.

This is only on 90-94 Legacies and SVXs. Imprezas never had the shift-up logic, nor did 95+ Legacies. In a later legacy, if you put the selector in 1st, it will rev to redline and hit fuel cut. In the old ones with manual mode, they'll upshift even if the selector is in 1st (or 2nd or 3rd).

I use it all the time. Partially because I wish I really had a manual.

When I'm going sort of slow and want to get on it, but don't want the car to drop all the way down to 1st, I'll use it. Same for 3rd. When I'm near the top of 2nd, and don't want it to drop down and rev the last ~500rpm to redline, I'll use 3rd manual mode.

And yes that is right, nipper. In 3rd, it will shift 1-2-3, and then to 4th if you were to hit redline (~110mph). In 3rd manual, it starts in 2nd and shifts to 3rd, and stays there. In 2nd, it shifts 1-2, and then to 3rd at redline (~70). In 2nd manual, it starts and stays in 2nd until redline.

This is only on 90-94 Legacies and SVXs. Imprezas never had the shift-up logic, nor did 95+ Legacies. In a later legacy, if you put the selector in 1st, it will rev to redline and hit fuel cut. In the old ones with manual mode, they'll upshift even if the selector is in 1st (or 2nd or 3rd).

Actually all automtaics will force an upshift at redline to protect the engine :)

I have never been that brave on the automatic, but have no problem doing it with a manual.

nipper

Actually all automtaics will force an upshift at redline to protect the engine :)

I have never been that brave on the automatic, but have no problem doing it with a manual.

nipper

Trounce the throttle and get power mode and the TCU will take it to 6000rpm, I'm sure the max shift point is the same if you over rev in manual mode. I dont have a 4EAT any more so I cant test it for sure.

BTW, I take my '91 SS 5MT to redline daily, I havent hit the limiter in 3ed yet but I'm normaly backin out before I hit 85mph. :-p (now that I know the car I dont hit the limiter at all)

Gary

Trounce the throttle and get power mode and the TCU will take it to 6000rpm, I'm sure the max shift point is the same if you over rev in manual mode. I dont have a 4EAT any more so I cant test it for sure.

Gary

If it's floored, my car will rev to 6500 (redline), regardless of manual/power mode. I think. This endwrench article says it will shift at 6100 in 1st if in manual mode. I guess I'll go find out.

nipper

According to the Winter 04 Endwrench article I'm reading, 95-98 Legacies for sure will not shift higher than the selected gear. Instead fuel will be cut. 93-? Imprezas are also the same way. The only 4eats that will upshift automatically are in 90-94 Legacies and 92-97 SVXs (and also some earlier 4eats have something similar). Those are also the only cars with a "manual" button.

Go out and hit redline with the selector in 1st if you don't believe me.

Cars without the manual mode can't be started in 2nd.

nipper

Nope... My SVX will upshift into second and then third even with the selector in 1st. But if I try the same thing in my 97 Legacy it will hold the gear and bounce off the rev limiter for up to 3-4 seconds (the longest I've wanted to hold it there)

• 6 months later...

How does one know if manual mode is working? I never see a light come on...tried placing in 2nd and 3rd only....(was in the garage, but running the car).

Should a light come on signifying it is in manual mode?

and it has only to do with tranny shifting, not with AWD, right?

Power light: I see it come on on start but nothing after that - should it ever do anything? Or does it only work if in manual mode, etc..

Sorry if silly questions, just bought a 92 legacy ls for my daughter and want to ensure I know the car features, etc...(may be getting a 93 turbo for myself shortly!).

Thx...Jeff

Does the light come on when you depress the manual button on the shifter lever?

no, it does not...

but I first press the button, then go into one of the gears...should I be in a gear first and then push the button? etc...

<update>

Tried it all different ways...up my steep hill. Indicator light never comes on.

I also drove the car down the road, stomped the gas and the performance indicator never came on (it does light when the car starts though, so it's not burned out).

Are the 2 related in any way?

What should I look for on the manaul mode...why the indicator light isn't on. Is there a way for a not so obervant of shift patterns newbie to know if it's working or not?

</update>

Nope... My SVX will upshift into second and then third even with the selector in 1st. But if I try the same thing in my 97 Legacy it will hold the gear and bounce off the rev limiter for up to 3-4 seconds (the longest I've wanted to hold it there)

yes they now put rev limiters in the puters so the forced upshift is no longer needed

nipper