Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How come these pistons not look the same?

Ok, I had two pistons that were toast, so I ordered a set from checker. BUT, they look different from the ones in the engine. I'm not sure they are the right ones. They're a BeckArnley 012-4968. Here's a pic:

CAM_1130.jpg

CAM_1131.jpg

What gives? I talked to the guys at checker and he says that's the only set for both the ea-81 and ea82. Are they just a generic type of piston or what? I don't get it. Help?

THe one on the right looks like it's from a NA 1.8. The turbo pistons are dished to lower compression. Without the valve reliefs cut into the face of the piston, I think you'd be making your non-interference engine into an interference engine, if it ran at all. I don't think that's the right piston.

the pins are smaller, the skirt is longer and there are no impressions for te valves. the longer skirts might make it less prone to piston slap. but thats about the only thing i see of any value with those pistons.

personally, id get my money back and go with someone that works with these cars on a regualr basis.

If you decide to use that new piston (I wouldn't), make sure it weighs exactly (to the gram) the same as your old one or else you could have a severe vibration. It appears to be a lot heavier than the old one. Also make sure the distance from the wrist pin to the top of the piston is the same.

Wow, looks like checker screwed up. Again. Why do I even bother going there? No wonder Napa didn't have them. Ok, I'll send them back. Since they are a full set, including rings.

MudIsFun: Are those pistons off a SPFI engine?

I'm also gonna call CCR and see what a new pair would be too.

Thanks guys!