Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Headgasket discussion

WJM

So i was reading about coppers again...lots of places say "YES!" alot say "NO!".....so....ummm...I just dont know.

Also, this page was an interesting read:

http://yarchive.net/car/turbo_head_gasket.html

Honestly...I dont think I'll turn to coppers again...they leak, require re-TQ...and...they leak. Granted that they are reusuable...but, they leak.....and leak and leak. Oh, and you've gotta re-TQ then.

The stockers, I dont have to re-TQ and hold up well as long as you dont run it lean for a long time (Basically, at all) and take care of the engine. BUT...i have a feeling that with 18+ psi....they might not hold.

So...we look to the newer SUBARU headgaskets...those multi layer metal ones (MML)...they dont blow. (Dont even start on the phase 1 EJ25s! The origional ones had the same gasket as the EA82s...that dumb composit stuff)

Cometic makes them....but, not for the EA82 or ER27....yet...

The STOCK MML's are supporting 600 and 700+ wheel hp on the EJ257 blocks all around the world....no problems.

Soooooooooooo..................looks like that might be our solution for when some of us eventually and actually start making more than 250 hp at the wheels with the EA82....and eventually the ER27.

BUT...I've talked to Cometic with mixed results. One guy said I ahve to buy 6000 gaskets before they even remotely consider making them. Another guy laughed his azz off and basically hung up on me. Yet again, I was told a min order of 25 sets and pricing was somewhere around $90 for a SET.....that and I know someone else on here has called and got the 25 sets answer.

Soooooo........do we seriously have enough interest to purchase 25 sets of Cometics? Or are there still unexplored headgasket tricks out there so that we can make them hold 250+ whp?

I dont think we will have ARPs at a reasonable price anytime soon, plus I dont think thats the answer.

well with ARP's, would the copper headgaskets work better or would the still leak, and require more re-torquing then I'd like to do. If we want to see how many people would want to buy a set of Cometic MML, I know I would be in line since I paid 75 bucks for a set of OEM headgaskets... I don't see why another 15 bucks would make a difference in my bank account.

With ARPs...we cant go over 85 ft-lbs of TQ.....even in the instructions, they only recommend a max of 65. :eek: I've broke several of their studs going to 95 on EVOs.

I've lost faith in the ARPs....ESPECIALLY since said 616 AWHP STi BLEW a headgasket with the ARPs...none of them held their TQ. When I dissasembled the engine, none of the ARPs were of the same TQ...some were loose, some were tight...some where in themiddle of that. I installed the STOCK SUBARU OE bolts back in, using the FACTORY TQ procedure, +90* additional, and its holding perfectly fine....plus we made more power. :headbang:

The Cometics would be EXTREME overkill on NA engines in stock form... :banana: which would be PERFECT for me since I want to build an NA EA82 and ER27....

I can buy the OE 11044AA013's (EA82 HGs) for ~$25 each all day long....so, it doesnt bother me all that muich to buy them, but to contenually pull engines and replace the HGs...it gets old fast....I'd rather buy a set of MML and have them last until something actually breaks...

FSM says re-TQ...hince why I originally purchased the OE socket that allows you to reach the headbolt w/out taking the cam case off....but in all cases...I've gone over 20,000 miles on each engine before something else besides headgasket failure (only one exception, and that was with non-OE HGs)....so....to re-TQ or not? thats up to you. I've always gone to ~70 ft-lbs on the heads instead of the OE specs to ~45 or so. *shrug*