Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head light bulbs (highest wattage??)

So I tried to do a search on this because I thought I remember this fromt the past, but I couldn't find anything. What types of bulbs and wattages are people running for their sealed headlights. Has anyone tried those blue lights? Any better vision with that? How are they in the rain? Has anyone had problems with higher wattages and their wiring, or melting of other components?

I'm not an expert, but I recall reading one :)

Daniel Stern, of Stern Lighting (automotive lighting consultant) posted in a MB forum a couple years ago, on the trendy blue bulbs. Apparently, reflected blue light is one of the hardest wavelengths that humans can use to distinguish detail, and is also the most "glarey". Sorry I can't be more specific, I can't find the reference right now, and it was several years ago when I read this.

The marketting trend has been to market what sells, and blue bulbs appeal to the high-end-wannabe crowd. Again, this is just my opinion. The OEM stuff is largely well engineered; the aftermarket is largely crafted to do one thing well: sell bulbs.

well around here it's not too bad. by "blue lights" i was refering to those that the newer cars are coming with these days that give off an intenese white light. so far i have some weather vision type bulbs that sortof have some spectrum to them and make it better to see in fog etc, but just not too good on wet pavement. my other options is just some high wattage bulbs, but as i though i recall stories about certain things you have to do to prevent melting of wires and housing. i'm sure some rally people around here should be able to help with that. anyone have some experience with 55/100W bulbs??

I agree on the clear.

With repect to the wiring. I was rather shocked at the small wire gage used by Subaru. My guess it is 18 AWG or smaller?

This is fine for say 55 watt lamps (A = W/V in dc) so

55w = 4.6 Amps

now say you upgrade to 100 watt lamps

100w = 8.3 Amps. This is close to the max for 18 AWG THHN

Some line loss will occure and to get the best light output the voltage at the lamps should be full battery voltage (app13.8 Vdc when running)

There is a company selling a relay powered upgrade for the head lamps. Wires to the existing plug and has a plug for the lamp. Add a fused hot wire to the battery and you are all set.

Sorry the company name eludes me, might try a Googleism or ask on the New Gen board, that is where I read about it first.

Hope this helps some??