Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Forester whines when parked!

its saying WAAAAAAAAAAAAA DONT LEAVE ME!!!

its a vacume resevoir with a leak, my firts guess. Can be the booster, can be the small can that is there for the HVAC controls. Pop the hood next time you park then shut the car off, and listen

nipper

LOL!

It's a non-turbo 2.5X. Will do on the open hood/listen.

Take a spray bottle of water with you and spray the usual suspects while it is whining (or a can of WD-40, if you want). the part you spray that stops the whining, is your prime suspect the next time, until you find the part that stops it all the time. Then you know where the leak is, and can start on making the leak stop. . .

Our 2003 Forester makes a dog-whistle-ish noise right after its shut off.

As has been mentioned already, this "sounds" like a vacuum leak or some sort of pressure equalization happening. Spraying a fluid at suspected areas may or may not help localize the culprit.

Since the noise is evident with the engine off, it's probably safest to work that way. First try to get a sense of the general area the noise is coming from. Then, a tool I've used that often helps to home in on things like this is a stethoscope, or something equivalent. A piece of tubing (vacuum hose, etc.) works well; just hold one end to an ear, and move the other end near the apparent source. You'd be amazed at how much easier it often is to pinpoint the sound that way.

--OB99W