Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zefy

So its getting frosty up here... and at first it was fun... drifting around frost covered streets... but then one of my worst nightmares appeared...

ROAD SALT!!!!:eek:

Oh no!!! this being the first winter of the brat being on the road i'm extremely worried... i don't want to run my hand over the fenders and have a bunch of rust chunk off....(there is rust on them already so i'm realy worried...)

is there any short term rust protection solutions? i've head of people spraying there underbody with pam and other such things, then hosing it off once and a while... does something like this work?

i can't afford right now to have my whole underbody strayed profesionally with real undercoat... so i dunno... i've been going so far as to dodge the big clumps of the stuff on the road... but i'm sure its not really doing much...

what do i do!?!!

Best defense is keep it clean, rinse and wash regularly, daily if necessary. I normaly advocate hand washing only, but if you have a local car wash with the underwash that sprays straight up under that car that might not be a bad idea this time of year.

They dont use salt up here but they use a nasty "de-icer" that's pretty corrosive, I washed my car yesterday (by hand) in 38deg weather... thats love!

Gary

It's called Jasco. You should be able to get it at any major paint supply store (Dunn Edwards, Etc) It's a prep and prime and it's about $20 a gallon. The navy uses it on their ships prior to painting them to prevent rust. The stuff is awesome. It DESTROYS rust. It wont prevent it from coming back though unless you get your surface super clean... prep and prime it.. then paint or rubberize it. DO NOT LET THIS STUFF TOUCH YOUR SKIN OR GET IN YOUR EYES. Rubber gloves and GOOD eye protection are VERY needed when handling this stuff.

If this isn't an option.. wash your wheel wells out on a regular basis at a coin wash or if you have a good hose with a lot of pressure at home.

Edit: This stuff is harmful to your paint-job. Use carefully.

A quick short term answer, while not eco-friendly, is to spray on used motor oil to the underside. Next time you do an oil change, put some in a squirt can and spray down any rusty areas or any exposed metal. Just don't do it when anyone is watching.
Or if you leak a lot of oil like some of us do the car is self undercoated icon12.gif Just was often to keep salt from sticking !

make sure its clean, and then hit it with rubber under coating or spray on truck bed liner.should give a good level of rust protection.

Here is my loud mouth again. :lol:

Don't use bed liner or rubber undercoating, these trap moisture in and will cause it to rust faster.

Instead the motor oil in a squirt bottle is a good idea, or just find someone who does oil under coating (about $40 for the whole car around here). The oil undercoating is usually mixed with a touch of tar to make it stick better and it forces misture out instead of keeping it in. You will get years and years out of a car that is properly undercoated.

Again just my input from 26 years of living in rural (salted) PA. :grin: