Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling all Hatchback drivers....normal or broke?

Hello all,

Well, I finally got to put some miles on the hatchback I've been working on for the last month or two. And I noticed something that may or may not be a problem. After driving down the highway about 10 miles, I pulled onto a gravel road and put it 4wd (hi and lo) and kind of got on it a little bit to see if it did anything unexpected (that is, pulled left or right, etc). Everything works great, except the rear end of this car is real easy to get sliding. I mean, I had a couple of really nice power slides :brow: through the gentle S turns on this newly graveled road, and I was only running about 15 to 20 mph. But it only takes a quick turn on the wheel to get the rear end to want to come around. Now is this normal for these cars? I'm thinking it might be due to the short wheelbase and light rear-end, but I know this car was in an accident at some point and may have been up-side down as well..... But going down the road it doesn't feel twitchy or want to wander. And under hard or soft braking, it doesn't pull. And nothing looks bent or out of alignment in the rear. So is this normal or should I be looking to fix something? If it is normal, I can't wait to get it out on some nice dirt roads or go play in the snow!:banana:

Thanks,

NV

Yep, my wagon does that too. Was a real gas in traffic on US 50, around Cave Rock about 20 min. ago (very snowy). I let some air out of the rears (snows all around), it seemed to help some. Strange, sometimes leaving it in FWD is actually better (I said sometimes:) ).

Just my 2 bucks