Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP!!!!! Im going through alternators like oil changes UPDATE!!!

They will be TIG welded mild steel. I might try to sell them on my subaru_18 yahoo group too. I am a moderator on that site.

I'll get some of these made up and put a photo of the engine with the GM alternator attached.

You have a TIG machine??

I'am taking welding at the college right now, and i use a miller TIG machine, i've been thinking about getting one...its clean, its strong, and its easy..

Think i should get the tig, or go for MIG??

Sorry for getting off track guys,

-Bill

Get both machines if you can afford it. The MIG is more practical for eveyday stuff but the TIG can do most any metal and have a stronger weld. Don't be afraid to buy used! They last a long long time.

I have a Lincoln Precision TIG 185 that makes Xray quality welds and the whole thing was just $1800usd. It is pretty easy to setup and fun as hell. I might be sick but I sometimes dream about welding with it.

The MIG is a must-have, you can do some pretty high quality welds real quick. Some aircraft makers even use MIG on their moly frames! When I say MIG I mean wire feed with sheilding gas, not the crappy flux core! That stuff will hate welding and take forever to develop your skills and you'll ony get a half-assed weld at best.

I won't even get into regular arc welders, well, I will say that they are best used at the end of a chain to keep your fishing boat from drifting downstream.

Oxy-Cet is nice to have around because you can braze with it, sometimes a brazing is stronger than a weld and it chrome plates very nicely.

Be careful when buying a MIG welder, go with either an known brand like Miller, Lincoln, Hobart or Century, they use Miller parts. I have a little Century 150 amp and I have built many trailors and sandrails with it. It's the best bang for the buck that I can find.

You have a TIG machine??

I'am taking welding at the college right now, and i use a miller TIG machine, i've been thinking about getting one...its clean, its strong, and its easy..

Think i should get the tig, or go for MIG??

Sorry for getting off track guys,

-Bill

Im going to replace the alternator with another junkyard alt

That too could be your problem in it's self. Junk yard parts, especially electronics are iffy at best. You don't know the history of that part, or how long it's been sitting out in the yard, exposed to the elements. I used a J/y alt once, that was it, it lasted about two weeks, then died on me. Took it off, copletely rebuilt it, then threw it on my Brat, it lived there, putting up with 2 sets of 90W halogens, plus quad 55w headlights for 2 years, then it moved to my 84 turbo when it got the XT-6 alt. Has been on the Turbo since (almost 3 years). And the turbo ain't light on electronics, digi dash, headlights/defrost/heater always on in winter, plus it's got a pretty good stereo in it.

So the moral is, don't trust stuff you know nothing about.

I agree with Adam on the JY electronics..never have trusted them..At least with new ones there is some sort of warrentee so if it dies in a short period of time you can replace it for nothing.

I am knocking on wood right now..But I only run about 300 watts in my Loyale and have never had an Alt problem..and I run my lights all the time ( I actually get upset if someone uses my car and turns them off),heater is going,stereo ( when it wants to work).

I work in electronics and we purposely blow up caps just for the fun of it! Simple minds are easily amused.

Before you spend a small fortune on giant caps I would have the charging system checked out by a good shop. You stated that the system is overcharging now. How do you know that? Did you measure the voltage and see more than 14.8 volts at the battery? Having a good high capacity battery is important to have here also.

Check the wiring between the alternator and the battery for any problems. There should be very little voltage drop between the alternator output and the positive battery post with a good load on the system.

Agree with you....also double ceck ground contacts.

Good luck.

Before you get too involved blaming your stereo, you might want to first check your battery. I,m taking care of a lot of subies, and a few alts go out starting with noise and feedback on the dash. Sometimes the main power cable from the alt needs to be replaced.

The only chronic alt killers have all turned out to be broken and shorting plates in the batteries. This starts destroying your alt every time you hit a bump.

They don't make an affordable rough service battery for a car, so about all you can do is make sure that your battery is securely fastened. If you do not, or haven't off-roaded, this is probably not your bother, but if you do, swap the battery and see what happens. It's hard to test for a broken plate because, as long as it is contacting, the voltage and load tests will read normal.

Ok here the update. Went to the junkyard today and put an alternator in. Didnt work..it was overcharging still. So went back in and got another (im not paying for any of the others by the way..just the 26 bucks for the first one) and put that in. No go. It was undercharging bad. SO...again went in and they were saying it was probably my car at this point but they still gave me yet another to try. BINGO..this one worked perfectly. They're really good guys over at Bills Auto Parts in Tolland CT. Just have too little faith in the power of subarus :)

Also i will still be putting in a cap for the amp. For now im not using the amp just to save this alternator until i get the cap. And WagonsOnly has offered up an XT6 and Im going to take him up on it...That is when he gets back from Ohio or where ever he said he was stranded with his Vdub getting a window fixed. Good luck WagonsOnly and Thanks mucho!!