Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru in AZ ghost town

Hi all!

My name is Bill, and I live in Tucson, Az. I am part owner in a ghost town in southern Az. (Ruby). A former caretaker abandoned a Subaru there, and we are trying to identify it. I got the following info. from the tag inside the drivers door jam:

MFD 03/81

JF1AM43B2

BB445222

Can anyone tell me the model type?

The engine is stamped "EA71". What size is this engine?

There is also a spare engine "EA81". I suppose the same type, maybe a later year?

I have pix upon requst. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the date that you give i can assume that its an 81. Not sure of the body style cause i cant decode that vin. EA71 is a 1.6 liter motor. The EA81 is a 1.8 liter motor and is probably slightly later (though there were a few made in 81 for Brats). I would love to see pics just to see what ya found :brow:

We should start some kind of "found in field" or "found in barn" thread and bookmark it. Everyone sends in pics of what they found and info about it. I think that would be cool. What do you guys think?

The engine is stamped "EA71". What size is this engine?

There is also a spare engine "EA81". I suppose the same type, maybe a later year?

In the pictures you sent me including one of the engine stamp it looks very much like an EA81. I was just wondering if maybe the 71 was a typo?

I may be going to get this car tomarrow if I can drum up the gas money to get down there... I will keep you all posted of the condition and all that ... if both the motors are good one of them will be going in our brat... but then we would have 3 laying around doing nothing... how much of the motor do you need for your core shawn?? I have an ea81 block sitting outside right now I probably am not going to use....

• 1 month later...

It turns out that the EA81 in this FWD 81 GL has a hole in it that I could almost put my hand in. It's pretty trashed and actually "very" rusty for being in AZ. Must be that cold mountain air or something.. There is probably a few usable parts and the 5 speed FWD tranny looked to be in good shape still. The "spare" motor is a fairly rusty looking EA71 that would probably have to be rebuilt to be usable.

Sorry I couldn't take this stuff off your hands Bill...