Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"squeak" on Impreza 5 speed????

My 5 speed manual FWD 1995 Impreza has this squeak, more so when cold. Comes from what appears to be the rubber trans mount. Is this common????? Has any one else experienced this?

When I take torque loads on and off the trans, like when clutching, it makes this noise. It's not mechanical and the car only has 63k on it. Should I just replace the mount?

Thanks much, Todd

Pretty sure.....it's tied to engine torque. Very noticeable in winter and right after you start moving cold. Nothing after warm up and nothing ever in Texas summer! Only winter. I drive low miles on this car.

Squeaks when I let on and off the gas.

Todd

Could it be your clutch T/O bearing?I think you trans mount would make this noise all the time if it needed to be replaced.

No...no noise when clutch depressed or released while sitting still. It's only when you add "load or torque/twist" during movement. And never a noise in the hot summer, only when the car is cold and only till it gets warmed up. It completely temp related. Maybe the mount is loose and as it heats up it expands tight enough to stop the noise? (I will check it again)

Todd