Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got me a full spyder intake now

Yesterday, Hondasucks and I went down to Denver and met up with blownbimmer. Ended up hitting 4 yards in total and at the last yard, I found a complete NA spyder intake which I picked up for 25 bucks! So all I need to do is modify the water passage on it and bolt in on. It'll hopefully be running in the next few days or maybe a week if I'm lucky. Gonna go get the last parts I need today to finish up the turbo plumbing and to get the water passage modified.

yeah the intake is cleaned out now. Had a bunch of rat poopies in it. Just gotta finish up some stuff like hooking it up and hopefully, HOPEFULLY, she'll run once again. Now here comes some questions...

There's this large thing bolted toward the back of the intake that appears to have PCV size hosing coming from it with an electrical connection. What is it and what does it do? Can I disconnect it and get rid of it? It was in the way of the outlet on my TD04 so I unbolted it but its still connected electrically.

I seem to have figured out the water passage deal since this is a NA intake and doesn't have the fitting for the turbo. Can I put a T fitting in the inlet heater hose and run it to the top of the turbo?

That sounds like the auxillary air valve. It idles the engine up when it is cold. The one on my spyder did not work so its gone and the hose has a spark plug in it. When the engine is cold it will not idle very well without it or maybe my idle is set too low. Your check engine light might come on if you unplug it.

I'm also installing a N/A spider on a turbo car. I tried to remove the steel tube from the regular intake to use on the spider, after drilling hole in thermostat housing of course. The thing was stuck like mad so I gave up on it. I was planning on using the heater hoses also. I wonder what the water temp difference is between the two areas.

The heater core should do a good job of cooling the turbo water- if you don't plumb it backwards. But if you did, you might melt your heater vents!

You could use a 'T', but I think that would limit the total flow through the turbo. I'm sure it would work just fine either way. I installed the same turbo on an air-cooled VW engine and have been running it without water and it is still holding up just fine.

I'm also installing a N/A spider on a turbo car. I tried to remove the steel tube from the regular intake to use on the spider, after drilling hole in thermostat housing of course. The thing was stuck like mad so I gave up on it. I was planning on using the heater hoses also. I wonder what the water temp difference is between the two areas.

The heater core should do a good job of cooling the turbo water- if you don't plumb it backwards. But if you did, you might melt your heater vents!

You could use a 'T', but I think that would limit the total flow through the turbo. I'm sure it would work just fine either way. I installed the same turbo on an air-cooled VW engine and have been running it without water and it is still holding up just fine.

Was that line in the intake just a pressed fit? If so, I think I have like, 5 turbo, non spyder intakes that I could try and fit into mine. What about the hole in the intake? Do you know like, how big it is, etc.? Maybe I can just thread and tap a fitting in there but that means another fitting, even though I'm getting the pipe tap on Monday...

I finally figured out how to do it so it'll work just like the stock steel tube. Basicaly, I'm going to drill a hole in the top of the water passage in the same area where the steel tube comes over the water passage from the thermostat housing, then thread in a 90 degree fitting which makes it work just like the stock steel pipe. Then just connect the flex hose from the top of the turbo onto the fitting, basically working just as the stock tubing but making it much easier to do, plus its cheaper then I though. Maybe 10 bucks total for the pipe tap and the 90 degree brass fitting. Now just to make it all work...

I gotta convice my sister to let me borrow her digital camera or borrow my friend's but hopefully, I'll have some new pics of it here very shortly. She's lookin so good, I just can't wait till I can get her outta the garage and into bodywork and a new paintjob. Then I can install my new badges and some performance stickers I have from parts I have bought. Then, it'll be time to take her to the drag strip and see what she can do!