Ultimate Subaru Message Board

im liking my gm alternator

i gotta say ive been pretty impressed with this alt since ive put it on a cpl months ago., i can turn on every single accessory including my driving lights and high beams and it doesnt even move on the voltage, think the thing that impresses me the most though is when i have had to jump start my diesel benz it doesnt even dip down, funny part though is my diesel battery is twice the size of my sooby battery.

I have to agree that it was a good upgrade... I found two things that affect the voltage.. 12 volt heater( to defrost my windows ) It drops it down to 12 volts even. And when I really crank up the stereo.. though with this one I can watch the needle move with the beat it is almost amusing but neither drop it below 12 unless stopped with the turn signal on.

actually mine took really no modification at all. i dont happen to have a pic at the moment since the ones i took were with the bunch i lost at my last comp crash. but i took the part that was normally at the bottom and bolted it in the top location that on the bottom i used a timing belt tensioner arm as a spacer of sorts and bolted it to that and then up to the stock slider spot, i used the tensioner arm since i didnt have any spare steel around at teh time. basically it only took me like 20 mins to swap it in, took me longer to get the wireing right though!!!:banghead:

and my hookup is with the ac compressor still on, ill try to get a pic of it later to post up.

it is a stock standard replacement on a 89 chevy astrovan, if you go to an auto parts place ask for that and say with a/c and all the other options, or maybe somebody can give a model # seeing the picture below

IM001377edited.jpg

1. is the stock upper mounting point

2.is the mounting tab on the alternator

3.is the new tensioner bolt spot

4.is the timing belt tensioner used as a spacer(i did have to drill off the pully piece that was on it)

IM001376.jpg

and this 1 is just an overall pic of it

I have to agree that it was a good upgrade... I found two things that affect the voltage.. 12 volt heater( to defrost my windows ) It drops it down to 12 volts even. And when I really crank up the stereo.. though with this one I can watch the needle move with the beat it is almost amusing but neither drop it below 12 unless stopped with the turn signal on.

Is this a normal stock Alt issue? I noticed that with my heater on 3-4 it drops below 12v then if my blinker goes on it will drop to nearly 8-10v and really stuggle to blink at all. Id hate to think what would happen if I through windshield wipers and a radio in the mix.

Or mabey my alt is going bad?

-Afterthought- I called the dealer today to look into a new alt. They dont stock OEM (all rebuilt) and they are $150 with a $2 core. Kinda thought that was ridiculous.:-\

• 2 weeks later...