Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 4spd D/R tranny question

So, I have this transmission in my brat, it's a 4spd D/R tranny, It shifts smoothly and what not except when cold it is really hard to get it into 2nd gear. Problem I've noticed with it, and I'm not sure it's something to worrie about or not, but I thought I'd ask. When in 4th gear, it whines, loudly, all other gears are quiet, but 4th gear makes a high pitched whine whenever it's in gear and engine is given gas.

Another interesting thing it's doing, is gear oil is leaking out of the speedometer cable... behind the speedometer. Is this normal behavor?

I can address the leaking oil coming out of the speedo cable; no it's not normal. There's a rubber seal just inside of the fitting where the speedo cable enters the transmission....that seal is leaking badly. Unfortunately, it can't be replaced without taking the gearbox apart (or so I've been told). Replacing the cable with a "dry" one will allow you to use the speedo until it starts leaking. However, you have to address this problem soon. If you don't, some of that grease will get into the speedometer and make it unusable (symptom is it will read a rediculously high speed even when you're driving slowly in first gear). Been there, done that.

So, I have this transmission in my brat, it's a 4spd D/R tranny, It shifts smoothly and what not except when cold it is really hard to get it into 2nd gear. Problem I've noticed with it, and I'm not sure it's something to worrie about or not, but I thought I'd ask. When in 4th gear, it whines, loudly, all other gears are quiet, but 4th gear makes a high pitched whine whenever it's in gear and engine is given gas.

Another interesting thing it's doing, is gear oil is leaking out of the speedometer cable... behind the speedometer. Is this normal behavor?

Ooooh! Goody! I have to replace the transmission again! fun. I have to replace the moter too anyway, may as well do everything at once after I get the coup running.

I can address the leaking oil coming out of the speedo cable; no it's not normal. There's a rubber seal just inside of the fitting where the speedo cable enters the transmission....that seal is leaking badly. Unfortunately, it can't be replaced without taking the gearbox apart (or so I've been told). Replacing the cable with a "dry" one will allow you to use the speedo until it starts leaking. However, you have to address this problem soon. If you don't, some of that grease will get into the speedometer and make it unusable (symptom is it will read a rediculously high speed even when you're driving slowly in first gear). Been there, done that.

I have no idea, it was full of oil when I put it in my car. Still full now, other than the table spoon worth of oil it's leaked up and through the speedocable.

My 81 wagon didn't like to go into 2nd on cold mornings. Switched up to Redline Synthetic (MTL) and problem solved. You might want to check your gear oil when was the last time it was changed?