Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt dl??

I saw an XT Dl, today, and I looked inside and it didn't have a back seat, just a little fabric covering the area, when the owner came out she said she got it like that new in 86...

WHAT THE HECK??

Kinda kool but I would like to have a back seat

hmmm...now how's that possible? from what i know all XTs have a back seat. kinda weird isn't it?

Nope... XT DL's had what was called a "package shelf" in the rear, which is basically a covering that replaces the seatbelts and seats. Also, they do not have pass-through rear seats, unlike the GL's or GL-10's.

Yeah I have seen one XT DL in my local junk yard. Pretty darn sparse inside. Not much in the way of options. But at least it had a back seat in it!

Not from the factory, it didn't.

Interestingly enough, if Subaru HAD put a rear seat in the XT DL, it actually would have cost less, as the US had higher tariffs on 2-seat imports than on 4+ seat imports, at least back in the 80's.

Not that the rear seat in an XT is usable by anyone older than, say, 10...

I had an 88 XT DL and loved it. It was the lightest Subie I ever had, and felt like a rocket for only having 100hp. Handled like it was on rails even on bald 13's. And yes, it was missing the back seat. The shelf was pretty damn useful though, you could hold a lot of stuff back there and the lip on the edge kept it from sliding off. I liked the shelf better than a back seat, actually.

FYI, the backseat was optional on the DL model- some actually did get it from the factory. Power steering and A/C were also optional, and mine had neither.

If you really wanted to you could put a back seat in, the mounting points for the seat and the belts should all be there.

I had an 88 XT DL and loved it. It was the lightest Subie I ever had, and felt like a rocket for only having 100hp. Handled like it was on rails even on bald 13's. And yes, it was missing the back seat. The shelf was pretty damn useful though, you could hold a lot of stuff back there and the lip on the edge kept it from sliding off. I liked the shelf better than a back seat, actually.

FYI, the backseat was optional on the DL model- some actually did get it from the factory. Power steering and A/C were also optional, and mine had neither.

If you really wanted to you could put a back seat in, the mounting points for the seat and the belts should all be there.

I'd actually go back and refit my GL with a package shelf (there was even the right one in PaP recently!)... but the back of my seat is stuck shut, so I can't get to the mounting hardware...