4.44's are HERE!!

Vanislru

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked them up today. Front pinion measures 34.5cm's Ring 17.5cms

Rear pinion 36.5 cm's ring 16.5cm's. or is that backwards? I'll have to check it out a little more, a quick bolt count should tell all. Ill crack the D/R on monday and start to post comparison pics so we can all see whats what.

As far as the pinion being to long the front is for a trannie w/o a transfer gear/center diff so it should fit nicely.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9702&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I don't think I'll need to weld anything unless the ring's circumference is to large, then I might have to cut and box the trannie a bit. I can't wait to take comparison pics of the r+p's on Mon. Maybe I can con a certain Mech. into helping me open up the trans.:brow:

Whooo Hooo!!! I don't understand all the details here, but if you can get this to work, I will definately make this the next major mod of my 'ru!! Why add more hp when you can go back to stock gearing with big tires (not big just bigger than stock .. 28" in my case:cool: ) and save your axles? :headbang:

so i was talking to a machinest here and he told me that the carier is cast mallible(not spelled right but hopefully you can sound it out) and that shouldnt be a problem if you need to weld up the holes and drill them out. also for the pinnion shaft he said he could cut the gear off the end of the shaft and make it so one could slide the 444 gear on it then with some good welding and machining it would be all good. i may try and find a 444 trany here to tinker with....

FlyB0y

so any particular EJ cars I should look in the JY for? :brow:

if i recall correctly you'd want to scope out a forester? can anybody varify that???

this will be fun to follow! and if you pull it off you're gonna have to come to wcss8 with me and show it off!:cool:

if i recall correctly you'd want to scope out a forester? can anybody varify that???

this will be fun to follow! and if you pull it off you're gonna have to come to wcss8 with me and show it off!:cool:

Definately! I missed last year cause of my good friends wedding being rescheduled, sniff sniff.

Tonight I start the tear down!!

• 4 months later...

Progress!? ah well... Rianna's on bed rest with our 2nd babe right now and I've been hella busy with electrical contracting so not much progress. With any luck I'll have some results by the end of aug. aybe sooner but with the way things are going who knows? Hell I haven't even been out for a quick wheel in almost a month now :/

I have them but haven't been able to install them yet, moved twice and pregnancy complication have kinda gotten in the way. I'm contracting, stand in mom, dad, pretty much WOT right now. Oh yeah work too.

I cringe whenever I look at the D/R in the shop, timing can be a real ***************

get a later jap legcy box - auto, comeswith 4.44 lsd.

yep, as previously stated in this very thread, that's where this set came from, but the key is to get it to fit in an EA82 D/R box and still have the gears mesh properly.

I think it would be easier to have a custom gearset made, wouldn't it? I also thought that a setup similer to monster trucks might help, using planetaries in the hubs or maybe between the inside CV joints and the tranny.

or chuck a wrx sti drivlein in it. already looked at the 4.44 idea in a L series box. consensus out here is no.

how is the EA tranny setup anyway? is it a shaft in a shaft, like the EJ manuals, or dose it have an ofset gear driven shaft to the front like the EJ autos?

EDTI: and their going for the 4.44 AND D/R so the WRX driveline wouldent do the trick.