Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got "Cold Gravy" in my block!

Still waiting on a set of heads for my EA8T. But in the meanwhile, I've noticed this Craaaap inside the water passages in the block. It looks like gravy after it's been in the fridge, or the jellatin stuff you scrape off the leftover potroast from Mom's house. It's light brown, thick, and has the consistancy of... well, cold gravy; not sure how else to describe it :-\

Anyhow, I'm 99.9% sure it's radiator stopleak that someone previously had put in. Which makes sense since there's a new radiator in the car.

Question is, how can I get that crap out of there? I'm sure it's not good for the heat transffer; I mean it's THICK! Will radiator "flush" work?

I work at a place that does R&D for semi trucks and what Caterpillar does with it's engines after an oil/coolant crossover is put a half a bottle of Cascade automatic dishwasher detergent in the radiator and take it out for a few laps...

Don't see why this wouldn't work, but I just want to get some opinions first.

tsp, sodium bicarbonate, bonami all together

Whoa dude, are we mixing a chemistry project or cleaning out an engine block!?!

Do you have any "suggested" ratios? "all together" sounds pretty subjective, I'd hate to eat a hole in my aluminum block.

It sounds like pepper in in there! A lot of people use it to stop radiator leaks. I saw on Myth Busters (awesome show) that a raw egg works to stop leaks INSTANTLY!

I've had good results with the radiator flush stuff you get at the part stores. Flush it with water before using the chemical so the gravy doesn't impede the cleaning action. AND- make sure you flush it out very well with water then drain and then refull with deionized water and ethylglycol at 50/50.

So I got talking to some of the Mechanics here at work and the consensus is it is definately a oil and water thing. Evidently the reaction the glycol has to oil is it turns it into a... guess what, "Jelly". Glad I left a 0.1% margin of error in my estimate earlier.

So, I'm thinking the Radiator Flush is the way to go.

Just have the radiator boiled out at a raditor shop. I dont know what you can do about whats in the block, as that glop is really hard to get out of the engine. The raditaor passages are much smaller then those in the trucks so i dont think you will get it all out

nipper

Recently had to flush oil/coolant mixture out of ex-M-I-L's Neon, due to bad HG. I used a cup of Dawn dishsoap in a 5 gallon bucket.

Pull the radiator, and stand it on end with cap end down, and cap removed. Will help get most of the crud out of it. Do this while you wait for your heads to arrive.

Once engine is back together, and running, leave T-stat out for now.

Fill system with soap solution, run it for 1/2 hour or so, after it gets up to temp.

Drain and flush with fresh water.

Refill with soap solution, and repeat as needed, until solution is free of oil.

Be sure to have heater on Heat setting so core gets flushed also.

Works for me....