Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid Fuel Filter!!!

I was chugging up the freeway onramp yesterday, so I decided to change my fuel filter today (carbed EA82). Every time I do this I wonder

What kind of genius :banghead: came up with the idea of putting a fuel filter at the lowest point in the fuel system???!!! :banghead:

The good news is that we're running like a top again. :)

Yeah, i also found that out the hard way, which resulted in me yelling at my girlfriends little brother (who just happened to be standing nearby) to find things to plug the holes. Luckily he came back with 2 philips head screwdrivers that actually were the right size to plug the rubber lines.

Yup same here...learned the hard way and went running into my house as my car was dumping gas everywhere..dumped out a big bunch of bolts and found ones that looked about right and ran back out. Didn't loose too much but still...should have know better.:banghead: I was ready the second time though.

I guess we've all done that! I actually started a small fire the first time. Don't let the halogen light sit anywhere NEAR the fuel line, just in case. I had some splatter that caught on fire on the light, broke the bulb and threw the breaker.

I ran for the fire extinguisher first, and the vice grips second.

I actually had one of the lines plugged, but didn't think to do the other:banghead: .

How long would it take me to do a fuel filter in the 0F temp.s w/ vice grips?

I would imagine you'd do it a heck of a lot faster than if it was 70 degrees!

Seriously though, it takes like a minute. Clamp off the line, use pliers to remove the clamps on either side of the filter, take the hoses off, pull the filter out, put the new one in place, hook up the hoses, put the clamps back on, take the vise-grips back off, and you're done. There's nothing in the way that you have to remove either.

I replaced a fuel pump in an SPFI car in -10 weather two years ago. It sucked, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Probably the most important advice I can give is to keep the fuel off your hands as much as you can. That gas is also at 0 degrees, and it will make your hands freaking cold in a hurry, so much so that it's difficult to work.

The hard part of doing it in 0 degrees (OK, mine I did at about 4 degrees), besides the frostbite, is that the lines get hard when it gets that cold. One end just did not want to come off the barb on the filter, and it took several minutes of fighting it to get it off.