Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SCORE!! 94 amp true bolt-on GM alt!!! ***Now with Pics***

Ok, so I had the old tech big case 100A alt for a '79 Cutlass ... and it didn't want to go on like I saw in the write-up, so I went to the parts store to see if I had the wrong one, and he found me a 94 amp alt for a '85 Cadillac Cimarron with the 2.8 V6 ... $70 with a $25 core AND it it the SAME size as the subie one for my EA81!!

Just thought I would share the news :cool:

Goto

www.oreillyauto.com

and look up a '85 Cadillac Cimarron

and from the list of alternators

look for the Ultima Remanufactured

94 Amp Alternator Part Number 01-0221

and yes, a purist would make a spacer on the left side to fill the gap between the mounts, but I can tell you, otherwise it is the EXACT same case size and distance between the mounts.

Enjoy! :drunk:

ACK!!!!!!!!!!! :dead:

Ok ... I screwed up ... I just went and actually TRIED to install this alt tonight ... the ears are actually about 1/4 inch too narrow :banghead:

I got it work but it is ugly!!! :rolleyes:

No pics, I don't wana break the camera! :o

(I can take some if you ask nice tho :-p )

I had to not only flip the alt left to right, I had to cut the ear to the right to the point that the bolt isn't inside it, it's right on the edge of it, in other words, untill I get a big fender washer to keep it from being able to slide off, normal vibration will cause the bolt to slide off the ear ... sorry ... I was so sure when I measured it .... I'm sure there is one out there, just have to sample some more GM alts till we get one that matches the distance between the brackets.

On a good note, I was able to use the stock belt, and it only took me about 4 hrs to figure out how to make it work ... if not for the off-set, it would have only required shaving off about 1/16th of the right ear.

good luck .. I don't recommend this alt, but there has to be one closer ...

Ok, well it turned out to not be as big a deal to keep the bolt on as I thought, but still requires considerable modification ... so I will look for annother that is spaced out a bit more ... and here are the pics ...

***WARNING!! POSTER NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN SCREENS DUE TO THE INCREDIBLY UGLY PICTURES YOU ARE ABOUT TO OPEN!!***

Notice in pic #4 that the bolt is centered on the far edge of the ear instead of inside it. I have a large washer keeping the bolt from being able to vibrate off the ear, it might work, but I don't really trust it.

Also, for those of us with A/C, you have to remove some of the back rib of the mounting bracket to make room for the bolt on the drivers side bracket.