Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 struts/shocks/cartridge questions..

scrap487

ok after a bit of searching I found that shocks for 70 chevelle will work well for a 4" lifted ea81 in the rear... I'm curious what will work for the front and what wont break the bank(whatever is left of it anyways... :banghead: ). I read somewhere that some toyota cartridges are a perfect bolt on mod for ea81 struts, is this true and does anyone have any information on this? as of yet I dont have any way to check or verify any information I come across yet other than people who speak to me on this board. are there any struts that will bolt right in perfectly w/ 4" of lift on an ea81? i'm trying to figure out how to get the most travel out of my suspension, any other suggestions?

thanks... I did use the search button first too :brow:

oh dont worry I am... tis why I havent bumped my post since I posted it..

answer to my question specically was:

cartridges out of a 1981-84 Toyota starlet front. It is a gabriel part number G4472, and monroe part number 72837. These are based off the interchange, the monroe cost $55.00 at the local schucks

PROBLEM:

Using longer struts up front will result in a disasterous amount of positive camber.

Strut top extensions are absolutely necessary in the front as they are offset to return camber to normal after adding a lift.

Don't bother trying to get anymore more travel out of your struts, you're limited by the maximum angle of your CVs, which is not much. No way around it. It's your sube's Achille's heal... live it, love it... or go solid axle ;)

oh dont worry I am... tis why I havent bumped my post since I posted it..

answer to my question specically was:

cartridges out of a 1981-84 Toyota starlet front. It is a gabriel part number G4472, and monroe part number 72837. These are based off the interchange, the monroe cost $55.00 at the local schucks

ea81(Gen2) based bodies do not use struts with replaceable cartiges. the gen1 4WD's did though Ithink...

there's a couple of folks on here that have modified the ea81 struts to take a cartridge though...

I have/had a set of struts off of a 1981 DL 4wd. wagon that had replacable cartridges. I dont why this car had them but it did, all I know is they were a Showa body and cartridge. If you use the starlet cartridge you will also need to drill the 'D' shaped hole in the top to accept the round piston rod.

Matt