Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Source or engine rebuilt in Wa ?

Where's a good source for purchasing either a rebuilt or low mileage EA82 SPFI?

I'm thinking one of those low mileage Japanese pullouts would be just about perfect if they still exist. I may have a worn out engine and am considering a rebuild, but don't want to do that much work myself?

Somewhere close to the Northwest where I could pick it up unless shipping from somewhere else was reasonable.

Or if you know someone in the Northwest Wa area that does rebuilds, I could pull my engine and have them build it for me.

Rollie

What makes you believe that the engine is worn out? Many symptoms have other causes...

Good question. All I based my original diagnosis on was the report I got from the previous owner and the outward symtoms I noticed. It is a high mileage engine, leaks a lot of oil and has been progressively losing power over the last few months. Knowing just that and me being lazy and not wanting to spend much elbow grease rebuilding major components, I chose to take the chance and buy the new engine.

However this afternoon, I pulled it into the shop and did a compression check. Sure enough there was a problem. Compression ranged between 58 and 110 psi with the two lowest cylinders being something like 58 and 70.

Good news for me, because I was kinda counting on being able to fix up the new motor, bolt it in and have a good running car again. I will keep you informed how the new engine works out.

Rollie