Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need to replace poor, old, tired "Mr. Suby".... :(

I will miss him as I am quite fond of him ('84 GL Wagon FWD), anyway.....

And a Subaru 4WD is ideal for me. I'd prefer a 5 speed, but my job is newspaper delivery, so an automatic is much more suited to the work if they are somwhat durable? I would like more power than my old EA81 '84 GL Wagon (FWD) has, because if the GL was not a stick I don't think I could bear it.

One thing, I HATE timing belts, but I see no way around that. Most important though is I must avoid "interference engines" (piston smacks into valves when the belt breaks and causes catostophic engine failure). So are any Subarus interference design? I have no idea how much I will be able to spend yet, but I'd like to be able to get a newer model with some more power if it becomes possible. Value for the money is key though.

As a delivery driver though fuel economy is of paramount importance as well. So I need a good on gas engine. I will consider any car if its in good enough shape all the way back to I would buy a 4wd (5 speed) early 80s model with EA81 if it was in good enough shape. I don't need AWD. Basically I need a car that can handle ALL the weather. Please enlighten me on different models of Subaru. I am interested in both newish (90s to early 2K models) and older, as I say the condition is going to be my priority.

I am posting this in both the older gen and newer gen forums as it applies in both.

well the older automatics, if you dont care about things like acceleration and power, they are OK, not great. New soobies automatics are lasting as long as the engines.

2.2L are no interference engines. 2.5 dohc have a head gasket issue (10-15%), but alot of us are driving arouns with them and have had no problem. 2.5L sohc engines seem to have head gaskets that may have an external leak (stopleak helps that).

The 3.0L 6 cylinders have timing chains, and may have some sort of issue popping up with them, cant tell yet, to new.

i LOVE my 2.5L over my old 2.2. the 2.5 has much more power, and does not hunt for gears in hilly highways like the 2.2L did. My tcar has 181k on it and all original. 90's vintage may suffer from torquebind, but in the automatic is easily fixed with a tranny flush.

hope that helps.

nipper

Well I have to say I am VERY unimpressed with the miles per gallon that all wheel drive gets. I need a car that can get up to at least 30 on the highway and it seems the only way I am gonna get that is with a 4WD which seems to put me back in the market for an EA82 powered 4WD older model. The Legacy seems to have nice power from what I can hear, but without the ability to switch back to FWD for normal usage, I'll be really sorry when it gets to the pump. This paper business does not keep up witht he high cost of gas and you need an efficient machine. It's seems hard to find one like I need online, I may have to scan local papers for a while.

tehn lost of cars are out for you, and yes you will need an older sooby as the newer ones are bigger and have more power. The 2.2L legacy i had would get from 27-35 on the highway depending on how hard i drove it. you would want to look at an imprezza then, a smaller car.

And in comparison to all the awd/4wd vehicals out there, subarus do pretty good.

nipper

I used to deliver newspapers for 6 years...the only AT car I used I killed the tranny in about 6 months and cost $2800 to have it rebuilt ( 96 Taurus wagon). I used an 88 GL wagon for awhile ...great for papers and a 90 Justy also awesome ( both were FWD so can't help ya with the 4WD to much) I had a 70+ mile route with over 300 papers in upstate NY

The EA82s make great delivery cars ..the clutches hold up great. Gen 1 Legacys have a great reputation also but I really dont know if they are non-interference but the EA82s are....and both you can sometimes find in right hand drive. For saving on gas definately look for a 4WD over AWD.You wont get as good of mileage as the FWD but you are in more control of when you want to use it.

As you know ..your job is extremely hard on cars and you are right about the pay not reflecting the gas costs etc.Been there....and went through alot of cars ( I used cheap beaters for my routes) and I found my 88GL wagon,the Justy, and my 83 Accord hatch were the best for it ..in that order.

Good luck..

Mr. Suby is a rustbucket, but he's still got the heart of a champion yet. I don't want to brag and jinx myself but I been doin the route a few days now in Mr. Suby and had no troubles with him (after a period of several front end and carburator breakdowns in the recent past.). Seems to be having a great time right at the 150,000 mile mark engine wise. Lately one of the songs I rediscovered is Sublime's "What I Got", and Mr. Suby Plays it so beautifully through his 200 watt Pioneer in dash deck (simply installed by me and looks nice}, and his 4 12" Full range but bass heavy, with tweaters in nice little cabinets that fit in the hatchback nicely and deliver a lot of punch for very low $$ (Wal Mart....I Know, yuck, but honestly, where else you gonna find Roadmaster speaker cabinets for 14.95, to about 24.95 that kick major sound and don't blow up too quick if you don't abuse them too hard with songs they cant handle at full volume. Anyway, Mr. Suby and I say *singing* Lovin',....is what I got....I said remember that! Happy holidays to any who read this thred now.

See if I had my ideal car I'd find a long garaged and maintained 100K to 200K '84 GL 4WD for about $1500 to $4000 depending on how perfet it is, but those are rare beasts to find. Seems the EA82 are all over the place and personally I thing pushrods should never have been gone.