Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How hard would it be to carburate my engine

Hey,

I was just wondering, how hard would it be to carburate my engine?

I have an EA82...

Bill

Well, i was thinking of putting a weber on...its so gutless, but i don't want to do an EJ swap...i don't have the time (college full time) and i don't have the space...

So it would only make things worse...

Would EJ18 Cam shafts fit?? Is my engine a Dual or single??

Its an EA82 FI....Its a 93 from a Loyale, and its FWD auto...

Thanks, Bill

I don't think it would be too hard. You would probably need to swap out the distributor for one from a carbed model, and the fuel pump on the injected model puts out more pressure, so if you didn't want to change that you would need a fuel pressure regulator, but the rest of it would just be fabricating any pieces you need to get the carb working, like the bellcrank and return spring.

You'll pick up a little performance going from a stock carb to a Weber, but I can't say you would going from FI to a Weber. They're good carbs, but they're not magic. I agree with zyewdall, a manual trans would probably be a better upgrade. Your engine is a SOHC, and I don't know for sure, but I kind of doubt a cam from an EJ would fit.

Having run a stock carb, a weber carb, SPFI, and finally an EJ22 in my EA82 wagon, I would advise against "de-evolving".

It might just have been that I'm not that good with carbs, but I had bad luck with mine, especially in cold weather. The SPFI system gives you about the same power as a weber, with better drivability and fuel economy. I know of more people that have converted their cars from carb to SPFI than the other way around, even though it's a lot more work to go from carb to SPFI, and I think there's a reason.

I went from SPFI to a Webber, biggest waste of 500 bucks ever. if you already have SPFI, keep it, it will run better than even the best tuned weber, trust me. go through the basics, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, cap, wires, rotors.

Be sure to use NGK's they will work best in that old EA-82, and on that note, no, EJ anything won't work, cams are totally different.