Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another timely Heater thread - temp control slider stuck

My dad's 91 Loyale wagon has had no heat for a couple years. Fans and settings work, but the slider is stuck. It's actually stuck at the top (max heat), but there is no warmth.

If you try to move it, it will go about 1/4" but with tension that makes it go right back. I removed the plastic panel by pedals and can see that slider movement makes a white plastic gear arm move, so I think that linkage cable is good physically.

I remember reading something about a valve that may be plugged causing the problem, but I haven't had any luck searching yet. Can someone point me in the right direction?

If you can stand on your head and get your face right up against the gas pedal, you can shine a light to the right then, and see the rod that goes to the (flapper) thingy. My slider stuck, then something broke, it was'n't the gear on the cable end, but on the rod end.

So, went to one of my parts cars, and unfortuneately broke the gear on the cable end trying to get it off, but manged to salvage the part on the rod end. It's wierd little plastic thingy that "clips" onto the rod, and engages the gear on the cable.

I know that's a poor discription, but it's what I went through. If I ever have to do it again, I think it will go better.

Now if the flapper inside the blower box is hashed for some reason, then your pulling the dash I think maybe?

Or did I even understand your question correctly? Well, I tried.

I do remember that when the slider stopped working, I searched the archives considerably, and found some (which of course is better than none!) useful info.

good luck, and hope this helps in some small way

Pyro

Unfortunately, the tab the cable connects to on the back side of the control panel tends to break if the cable binds. Be really careful with it; I definitely wouldn't try to force it.

Yeah... my dad was messing around with it with me. I told him it was moving (or trying to) at the pedal-area end. He says no it's not and tries to move it. I say "NO, don't force it. Sheesh, you'll break it. Geez."

• 3 months later...