Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front end weight question

well nevermind on answering this question, mods can go ahead and delete this is they like, after more reasearch i dont think the front end of the roo could handle the 850 lb cast iron engine i was debating on putting in it, even if i built a subframe for it, i think it would buckle it.

What did you want to put in it?

lol should have known curiousity would get the best of someone, i was thinking about putting the motor tranny and rearend in from my benz, i got the benz driveable but it has a bunch of rust through spots and the front unibody is bent from accident damage, guess im going to have to look for a heavier duty car to put my running gear in

Yeah, those 5 and 6 cylinder diesel mercs weigh more than most american V-8 engines. I'm still plotting to put a VW 1.6TD in my GL wagon at some point. But it's only about 330 lbs.

I think the merc might fit in an old landcruiser or a pickup or panelvan of some sort.

the thing i cant figure out is when i compare how heavy duty 1 suspension setup is compared to the other they look just as heavy duty for the most part.

zyewdall are you going to try to keep the subaru running gear in it or swap out the vw gear into it??? if i had done the benz motor i was planning on putting the motor tranny, and complete rearend into the sooby

zyewdall are you going to try to keep the subaru running gear in it or swap out the vw gear into it??? if i had done the benz motor i was planning on putting the motor tranny, and complete rearend into the sooby

Keep the suby running gear. I still want 4wd with dual range. Connecting the VW engine and suby tranny is the hard part. I tried talking to the kennedy adaptor company, which makes one to go the other direction, and they said that subaru trannies are crap. I wrote back that when VW made a dual range 4wd tranny for cars, I'd think about a non-suby tranny.