Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got my Brand New cylinder head in the mail

So I had that spark plug blow out twice, and ended up stripping the hole. The stealership quoted 500 about for a new head. I talked to subiegal(www.SubaruGenuineParts.com) and she could get it for 317. I had $400 subaru bucks. So all I had to pay was shipping!!

shiny

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

I'm also going to clean all grounds, and connectors, use some dialectric grease like somebody else mentioned.

I think I will get new plug wires. My old ones look bad even though they were only on there a year. What do you guys reccommend?

That's beautiful. I use dielectric grease anywhere I join wires, especially on places like grounds. It keeps out the corrosion for years. I even put it inside solderless terminals before I insert the wire.

Out of curiosity, what's the light green stuff on part of the head?

DIELECTRIC GREASE-- Don't use the garbage stuff they sell at the auto part store. Use DC4 (Dow Corning #4), I used it extensively int he aviation industry on every connection that required corrosion protection and isolation from the environment. It has about the same melting temp as solder and never dries up. It is a vasoline-looking stuff that works great on everything from dist cap electrodes to battery terminals to spark plug wire caps to keep them from sticking to the ceramic part of the plug. We all know it sucks to destroy good wires when all you are trying to do is replace the spark plugs!

The green/tan stuff--I don't know, it flakes off if I rub it, so it can't be bad.

--Should I try NAPA for NGK wires?

--and where would I find DC4?

try a parts+ or carquest I know where toget them here but who knows up there.

NAPA sells the belden wires. They are nothing special.