Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got my new block... the verdict is in!

Well.... I opted for the high compression block. I arived in Reno at 10am and met up with Subieman, then we started looking at what the PnP there had to offer. Found a few turbo motors, but the lowest milage was 105k in a pretty beat up black RX. Then I decided to see what SPFI and MPFI engines I could find. I started looking for the newest EA82 and then we found it...

It was a 1992 Loyale, 3spd Auto 2WD Sedan. Had been rear ended. The odo had 150k on the clock, but the interior was IMMACULATE! The coin tray was removed from the center console, and there wasnt a spec of dirt or lint or anything under the tray. The seats, carpet and dash was spotless. So i popped the hood and found a SPFI engine that was so clean I could almost see my reflection in it. So we decided to yank it. I was shocked when we removed the timing belt cover. SOA belts that were clean enough to eat off of. WOW i said. I sure hope the rings are still good. We pulled the heads and inspected the block. Crosshatch marks were apparent but Cyl #1 had some slight scoring on the sleeve. I brushed my fingers across the score marks and you could tell something had scratched the sleeve pretty good. I dont know if I should be worried or not about it. I will get some pix when I have the block up on the bench. I have a hard time believing this motor has 150k on it, since there were some stickers on the block like it had been recently purchased. But the car was so clean I guess it could be the original motor. We'll see what happens when i slap some turbo heads on it and get it runnin.

-Brian

Complete motor would probably be between 150-180 depending on who rung you up. We removed everything but the water pump and the oil pump. They looked new as well. When i got to the counter I told the lady it was an engine block (we had it in the wheelbarrow with our toolboxes around it). She was confused cause it still had the bell housing on it and thought it was a transmission. Then i think she saw the cylinders and realized what it was. Anyhow, she rung it up for $89 and she said the timing belt cover i had in the wheelbarrow was free :)

If i would have known she was so laid back I would have grabbed all the PCV hoses... they looked brand new.

-Brian

Ive had better scores in my day of junkyardin... all different stories for a different day.

Here is a pic of the 1/3 side of the block, with the scratches in cyl #1.

May not be 56k friendly http://gallery.usmb.net/albums/album43/DSC00668.jpg

Also, the surface of the pistons appear to be really filty.

Anyhow, here's a good shot of the block:

DSC00669.sized.jpg

The oil you see is from the power steering pump when we removed all the hoses. On the bellhousing there is a sticker with a barcode and a number on it. Starts with EA82 too.

Backside looks just as good:

DSC00667.sized.jpg

I gotta get my heads cleaned and resurfaced and then I can start to reasemble the motor. I plan on dressing the block up alittle :brow:

-Brian