Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lsd diff problem with pics

SO my lsd is not happy.

Symtoms:

Diff temp = cold no problem

Driving on highway for more then 10 min results in a weird binding upon deseleration to a stop. The the diff becomes hard to turn then easy hard to turn then easy.

Rear tires are brand new so I think the lsd function has little to do with the problem.

History:

Junk yard diff installed on my car about 2 years ago.

Used the diff for about 1 year then noticed seals were leaking real bad.

Replaced all seals on the differential and replaced gear oil. Didn't have the spring balance to check the resistance to turning like manual said so I guesstimated at the preload on the pinion nut.

Now almost 6 months after I replaced the seals I am getting this binding problem.

Replaced the diff with another junk yard LSD unit and all problems went away. So something is defatly wrong with this one.

See pics below.

So my question is: what is my next coarse of action. Put grease on the teeth and see if the mesh is all messed up or is my pinion preload to tight or to loose?

Thanks

Edited by Subi81
Removed pictures

Ok,

Sorry it took so long to respond

The car is in Fwd when this happens.

I have tried it in 4wd and the sound seems to get a little worse.

The reason I messed with the pinoin was to replace the leaking front seal. You have to take off the drivline flange mount to get to the frount seal.

Will try to grease them after christmas.

Here is a pic of the gear oil. I did not put the additive in because I thought this gear oil was good to go out of the box. Let me know if I am wrong. I tried to get Genuine subaru and no dice :(

Edited by Subi81
Remove pictures