Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello Everybody

Hi there. I'm Ken, and I live in upstate NY, about an hour north of albany. I currently own an '05 Outback Sport that will be for sale here very soon, as I kinda need to get out from under a payment, lol. I think I wanna buy a Loyale Wagon, but they seem to be VERY hard to find around here. As far as condition, I really don't care too much what kidna condition it's in, as long as there aren't holes rusted in it. I would actually prefer to buy one thta already has a lift in it, but, no biggie. I only want a 4" lift, and do not plan to take it very far off road.

I have been trolling this website here for a few weeks now, and it looks to me like the best thing for me is to get the loyale (my buddy had both a loyale and a 84 GL, I liked the loyale alot more, it has to be a daily driver, so.....). But, I may just keep the original engine till she blows, then swap in an ej22 or ej25. Anybody have any recconendations on where I should start looking, and what I should expect to spend? I wanna do this as cheaply as possible if I can. And would like to become a steady member of this board, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ken.

Hi Ken, good to hear from another Upstate New Yorker. I'm about two hours north of Albany myself, in the Port Henry/Moriah Area (a little north of Ticonderoga if you've never heard of it).

Anyway, yeah it's gonna be tough to find a non-rusty Loyale up here, but they are out there. Try wantaddigest.com if you haven't already. Also, there are a lot more subes of that vintage driving around VT, so you might want to cruise around VT a little bit, and pick up some local newspapers for classifieds.

Expect to pay about $850-1500 for one in good condition, with less than 150K, though sometimes you can get lucky and steal one for a couple of hundred bucks... Doubt you'll be able to find one with a lift in it, not as many people lifting subes around here as the west coast. Lifts are pretty cheap and easy to install, though. Anyway, good luck!

Ryan

Think about Colorado, Washington, Oregon, or California for a rust free Loyale. Especially California. I got an '87 Gl with 220k miles without a spot of rust on it that was a California car. Even the Colorado ones don't look that good, and they do look good compared to east coast. There was a lifted '85 GL (same as the loyale, only with dual range) for sale here recently, $1500.

I think that a 4" lift gets you into some shady areas of lifted Subarus...3" lifts are more common and practical.

As far as find a Subaru...check www.craigslist.org

I disagree.

Allied Armament, for one, is only putting out 4" lifts now. 4" gets you up in the clear for a wider variety of offroad tires and wheels with less bashing and cutting necessary to fit.

SJR's 6" lifts look really cool as well.

I say no worries on the bigger lifts. :)

Well, unfortunately, if I buy a car out west, I have no real way of getting it here. I don't need, nor do I really want, actually, a mint clean body, let the guy who really wants that have it. I just want reliable transportation that'll get me back and forth to work and a lil off-roading here and tehre.

Hi Ken,

welcome to the board, i too am a NYer sube owner. i might be able to locate you one, but around here they all seem to have rust, the west seems to be the way to go. i just had a rust free brat brought up from AZ for $500, to me it was worth the extra 500 not to have to deal with rust. plus if you find the loyale you want over there for $1000, add 500 and you are still right at 1500. if you are looking for something to offroad, go with an 85-90 5sp with hi-lo 4wd, loyales are only single range, and an 88 gl is basically a loyale with better gearing. take care,

Jon

75subi, thanks, but, I REALLY REALLY like the loyale. I want to stick with a loyale. plus, I prefer to avoid carb's, lol. But, no, I really don't care about rust, as long as there aren't like holes in the floorpan, good enough for me, lol. I'm a mechanic by trade, so I can do basically any repair, and I even work at a subaru dealership, although I'm unfortunately a ford tech, lol.

I'm really looking for a loyale wagon, preferably in the northeast that I can turn the key and drive it home. Hopefully, in the next few months, I'll be able to find one that cna do that.

here is one that a guy emailed me with: (the email he sent me is below)

> Hi Jon I have a 1992 Loyale Wagon that I brought a

> few

> months ago, if you are interested I would let it go

> for $700.00. The car ran fine and then I parked it

> and

> now it will not start.My name is Linton and my # is

> 646 235 5576. The car is in the Bronx.

You can switch it to 4wd from the stick. A small

amount of rust around the wiper arm in the rear around

the rear fender.

I dunno, I may be able to go get a car in the bronx, but, not right now, I've got WAY too much going on. I figured I'd just keep my eyes open till spring, se what I see, unless I see some incredible deal, ya know. and I figured if the motor blew, fixt it the first time, and if it blew a second time, well, I guess that means it's time for an EJ motor, lol.