Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru will take a break

so i just finished getting my vw scirocco back on the road. Im having alot of little problems with the subaru and im going to wait till i get stuff put together to work on it. I have a weber carb that needs rebuilt and re jeted, some pugs that need tires and a few lug nuts... and a rear bumper and some other little things like a wheel bearing and some tranny mounts... over all it needs some stuff.

I figure i'll use it as a beater, maybe lift it, use it for wheelin..and drive it when my vw breaks down:grin: should be fun.

so i'll be around the board posting here and there, Im not getting rid of it like i did with my 84.

now time to figure out what lift i should go with.. possibly.. if i even lif it.:D

its got balls:brow: and a cd player... and comfortable seats, and the worst milage i get is 28mpg.. and thats hard driving;). the main reason is milage.. i drive alot and the wagon was getting 20mpg. the rocco will get 35+on the highway. it also makes a hell of better daily driver than the subaru. im keep ing the suby.. and looking into some mild off road mods.. I have a weber to install, some rubber mounts to fix, a wheel bearing...yada yada read my first post. i just chose not to use it as a dialy.

subarus are cool.. but if you have never driven a water cooled dub you cant say anything:D

well the vw dosn't go as well inthe snow.. but it works.. and i doubt i'll see much more any way. the vw handles better, brakes better, its faster, it does the speed limit. it starts when its cold out. the heater works better. it looks better, its easy to work on, bla bla bla

but you cant compare it to the subaru in the snow. :) . i doubt my subaru will ever see the milage i get in the vw.... heck it gets better milage than my moms outback or my friends legacy.

im not so brand loyal that i cant accept or like other cars. im a vw subaru nut.. will be for a long time. both companies have made cars that apeal to me and are uniqe in there own special way.

maby me and my crazy imagination will put an EJ22 into the subaru:brow: i figure it would be nice to have some power before lifting it. :rolleyes:

have you ever owned other vw`s? i loved the old air cooled beetles, had probly 8 of those. one had floors so bad i put wood across the floor and had to sit on a milk crate to get it home:lol: the last one i had was a beautiful 70 standard beetle, what a beauty, everything was restored, but after the rebuild, they couldn`t get it running, so i picked it up for $900, sold it the next week for $3500 to the first person who looked at it. always wanted to make a baja bug.:brow:

they had one on monster garage with a turbo pulling sideways on a 1/4 mile:grin:

have you ever owned other vw`s? i loved the old air cooled beetles, had probly 8 of those. one had floors so bad i put wood across the floor and had to sit on a milk crate to get it home:lol: the last one i had was a beautiful 70 standard beetle, what a beauty, everything was restored, but after the rebuild, they couldn`t get it running, so i picked it up for $900, sold it the next week for $3500 to the first person who looked at it. always wanted to make a baja bug.:brow:

they had one on monster garage with a turbo pulling sideways on a 1/4 mile:grin:

i have only had the scirocco... and really perfer the german built rabbits and roccos as to the us built ones.. ( the german ones had better wiring in them ) my dad has a 69 vw bus that is currently a project sort of. it was bought when my dad was a kid by his dad. its kinda special in the family.

i`ll admit, i have had several rabbits, pickups, and one 76 scirocco, they did have more jump, but the only ones i had better milage on were the diesels. handleing was comparable. until i owned a soob, i thought a rabbit with snow tires was unstoppable:lol:

I had a rabbit and think they are pretty much unstoppable...but I LOVE my soob...still wouldn't mind subifying a rabbit with complete drive train/running gear of a soob.:banana:

well the vw dosn't go as well inthe snow.. but it works.. and i doubt i'll see much more any way. the vw handles better, brakes better, its faster, it does the speed limit. it starts when its cold out. the heater works better. it looks better, its easy to work on, bla bla bla

My soob hatch starts smooth in the {{{cold}}} and the heater works great but my '89 honda civic hatchback heater works SOOOO much better.

evrey vw i have been affiliated with costs more to maintain has more problems than and is atleast two years newer than my subaru although they do get better gas milage and get up and go

205k miles and no big problems aside from regular matinence and a few CVs. in reality it has more to do with having fun. the subaru is cool for the winter months but as soon as the sun comes out..its parked.

and parts are cheap im not sure whare your buying them. ;) there is more aftermarket they are way easy to work on.

you can get a lemon, not trying to say vws are reliable, but properly taken care of and maintained they will go for a long long time. people neglect them and they fall apart then they whine about how unreliable they are...

subaru makes a great car but to me it only puts a smile on my face ether off road or in the snow..... but long ago i had the chance to get a nice RX turbo.. and that sadly didn't happen... guy wouldn't let me or my dad test drive it for insurance reasons and we walked away.:( if that happend i probably would have never gotten a vw.. maybe it was fate.. its been in my familys blood. im german what i can i say:grin:

im not sure what direction i want to take with my little red suby.. ive got alot of ideas, if i want to clean it up and make it a nice original car.. or use it as a beater.. the later has been in my mind.:D its my tractor.. parts getter, winter beater.

im interested in lifting it and putting on my newly found Pug 14in steelies, but im not sure what lift i sould go with.. but after i do that i have very little power so how will i turn the bigger tires? my friend saw one of your subarus down in corvallis and thought it looked badass.;)

i have only had the scirocco... and really perfer the german built rabbits and roccos as to the us built ones.. ( the german ones had better wiring in them ) my dad has a 69 vw bus that is currently a project sort of. it was bought when my dad was a kid by his dad. its kinda special in the family.

I've got one of the mexican built 1990 GTI's right now that I just put a diesel engine from a '89 jetta into. The diesel engine runs fine (hot wired it and started it for the first time this morning), but when I started looking at the wiring under the dash to wire it up the ignition switch and such. Bleah! :banghead: and I thought my '89 GL had too many wires.... The subaru is way simpler to work on for most mechanical stuff too.

And yeah, rabbits are pretty unstoppable in the snow. Except when compared to a subaru.

I've only had Subies for the past year, great cars. Had one VW, a stock 67 Beetle. It was a good car to me, no complaints at all! Did have a sand rail with the VW transaxle turned around backwards and a 2Kcc Pinto motor running on ave gas, that was a screamer!! Miss that one, traded it for a Harley.

Picking up my lift/EJ22adapter for my EA81 Monday. Looking forward to getting it all together but don't plan on running it until I get the engine/trans swap done. May take me some time to get it all done as I'm a fiar weather mechanic.

Subs are grerat but I have a F150XLT 4X4 (Factory dual front shocks, rear air over loads.) also for heavy hauling, trailer work and all the stuff the Sub can't handle well. It's hard on gas but out preforms my Sub in the snow (Bad clutch pack so it's a FWD) until I get the lifted one going.

I've only had Subies for the past year, great cars. Had one VW, a stock 67 Beetle. It was a good car to me, no complaints at all! Did have a sand rail with the VW transaxle turned around backwards and a 2Kcc Pinto motor running on ave gas, that was a screamer!! Miss that one, traded it for a Harley.

Picking up my lift/EJ22adapter for my EA81 Monday. Looking forward to getting it all together but don't plan on running it until I get the engine/trans swap done. May take me some time to get it all done as I'm a fiar weather mechanic.

Subs are grerat but I have a F150XLT 4X4 (Factory dual front shocks, rear air over loads.) also for heavy hauling, trailer work and all the stuff the Sub can't handle well. It's hard on gas but out preforms my Sub in the snow (Bad clutch pack so it's a FWD) until I get the lifted one going.

ha i was talking with my sisters boyfriend about my subaru plans... also included an EJ adapter and a lift:brow: i figure if i look in the right places an ej22 is afordable and if i want to lift and put tires on it why not have some power. so my plan is EJ swap first lift second.. i want it to be a sleeper for a little while:cool:

now i need to look into swaping out the ea81 for an ej motor. its not the fab work im worried about its the wiring harnes and the ecu. i figure i can pic up a motor from the pull and save for around 100 bucks and get the wiring and all that from the same car.

not sure if i have to use the ej dash and guages yet though. the car was free so whats a few hundred in mods

My daily driver has been either a 2001 New Beetle or a '94 Subaru Justy...and I've got to give the Justy the edge, hands-down, for reliability, gas mileage, and snow handling. The Bug is a little more comfortable and a lot more powerful--and in constant dollars cost three times as much new. The Justy also has better fit and finish. If I could get a nice GL-10 turbo 5-speed, I'd let the Beetle go and keep the two Subies. But the Bug was assembled in Mexico :banghead: so that may have something to do with the reliability...

Anyways, love my Subies, especially compared to the Veedubs--and I won't drive anything else.

so has this post turnd into a post to get me out of my vw:-\

and the MK3 and MK4 era of vws were terrable.. im driving a good ol german built scirocco...not a Mexican bettle or Brazil built Golf or what not, personaly there is a difference.. wait for the MK5 Golf and Jetta.. they should be a better car..

if every one complaind about relaiblity we would all be driving Toyota Camrys.. subarus arn't the ideal example of reliablity. there surely better built cars.. but they cant shake a stick at Toyota.;)

funy thing is that if i went and bought a newer car.. it would be a subaru first than vw second :cool: im really liken my parents outback ( only if it was a 5spd )