Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clarification needed on timing marks 2.2

I am in the middle of replacing my timing belt on my 1993 Subaru Legacy with the 2.2. But have a question about the crank timing marks. On the crankshaft sprocket (that slides on the crank) it has a triangle on one of the teeth - is this the mark that is supposed to point to 12 o'clock? When I look at my repair manual and this site it seems that there is another mark that is supposed to point to 12 o'clock - if that is the case, I am not seeing it. Also, outside of popping off the valve cover, is there any easy way to see if I am at TDC on compression or exahust stroke?

Thanks for the help.

OK, I think I see it now. It looks like that triangle has nothing to do with alignment. The actual timing mark is one of the ears protruding off the crank sprocket. I will just have to look more closely to see which one of those has the actual mark.

Thanks for great link and your help.

• 1 month later...
  • 16 years later...

Found it, it is a line on one of the 3 or 4 ears on the back of the crank sprocket.  After aligning that it started right up.  I had been using the triangle mark on one of the teeth and could not figure out why it would not start.  Thank you for posting this same issue.