Ultimate Subaru Message Board

popping sound from steering/problem known,will be fixed soon

when i steer past a certain point (left or right) it sounds like something is binding.sounds kinda like a knock or loud popping(kinda hard to describe)

almost sounds like a outter cv joint that has gone bad(crunchy sound) it'll make the sound if the car's moving or sitting still.

i'm thinking it might be the joints in the steering shaft.crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that it isn't the rack.(that's all i'd need right now)

if anyone has had the same prob or suggestions on things to look at

(p.s. i took a look under and didn't see anything,unless it's that sparkplug i lost awhile back an never found)

when i steer past a certain point (left or right) it sounds like something is binding.sounds kinda like a knock or loud popping(kinda hard to describe).

almost sounds like a outter cv joint that has gone bad(crunchy sound) it'll make the sound if the car's moving or sitting still.

i'm thinking it might be the joints in the steering shaft.crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that it isn't the rack.(that's all i'd need right now)

if anyone has had the same prob or suggestions on things to look at

(p.s. i took a look under and didn't see anything,unless it's that sparkplug i lost awhile back an never found)

If it's the joints in the steering shaft you should have steering play. It might take only a tunr of the ratchet to tighten the joint and cure the problem. If not it could be a broken spring or one of the strut supports gone bad. I had a noise like that one year ago when the top spiral of my front left spring broke due to corrosion. No other symptoms but the popping noise.

Good luck!

If not it could be a broken spring or one of the strut supports gone bad

i'm gonna have to check the springs out.when you say strut tops,do you mean strut caps that attach to the body?

take it to a shop and describe the problem. if you don't want to do that then jack up the front and wiggle the wheel left and right and up and down. if it feels loose then you've got some problems.

i called my friend that has a garage and left a message about the noise.i figured it would be better to use his garage then lay out on the cold ground.not to mention i don't have access to my jack stands.

thanks for the suggestions

i'm gonna have to check the springs out.when you say strut tops,do you mean strut caps that attach to the body?

Yes, the strut support is the part that bolts to the top of the strut tower. You can see three bolts and nuts protruding there on each side of the engine bay. These bolts could be loose, the top center nut (under the rubber cap) could be loose, or the bearing could be bad. If the problem is there of course.

Merry Christmass!

well i took a good look at it this morning(more light :rolleyes: )turns out broken spring on driversside.pass side is ok but i think it's getting overworked due to the busted one.

9465broken_spring_2-thumb.JPG (you can see were it broke)

now i just gotta get the money to replace that strut/spring

Check with your dealer cause there is a recall on this. My spring was paid by Subaru cause the break was du to corrosion and the corrosion was du to improper painting of the spring.

but my legacy's a 94? only 1994 subaru model that i saw that had a recall,was the impreza(airbags)

You need a strut? come an get it. I got tools.

it's gonna have to wait til after christmas.

it's not to bad driving around with a broken spring,except that it feels like it wants to pull to the right a bit and that her front end is sitting about 2" lower.

gonna see if my mech has one.seeing that he's here in town and for weird reason she shakes a'bit at idle after going at highway speeds.then about a week later she's fine.if he doesn't then i'll be in touch.

btw-i'm not risking any futher damage by driving with a busted spring.??