Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Should I buy this car? ? questions ? - help!

I drive an 86 GL Wagon - I love it, but it has multiple expensive difficulties Soo I'm looking at an 88 GL wagon today. Guy claims to have all paperwork re; repairs and maintenance. 97,000 miles, new clutch, timing belt. The only unresolved problems he reports are:

Power steering reservoir needs replacing sometime - not urgent (he says)

Needs some sort of tailpipe extension that will allow car to pass emissions - he is planning to do this himself before I see the car later today.

Car is selling for $1400 (US) and I do not want to lose it!

But I cannot insist he take it through emissions testing today because they are closed for Christmas and will not re-open until Tuesday the 27th.

I really hope someone can tell me whether his statements that the power steering reservoir is not urgent and that a tailpipe problem could really be the reason a car didn't pass emissions testing are reasonable, and therefore, most likely true?

Many thanks to anyone who can offer advice. I just love these wagons!

Wgngal

That price is pretty close to top dollar for a normal GL

It better be real clean with fresh rubber and 4 wd.

The power steering reservoir? I have seen the seal for the pumpleak

but not the reservoir itself - maybe cracked?

The tail pipe extension - maybe there is no place to stick the probe?

Good Luck I would go to

http://www.kbb.com

and find out what this car is worth in your area

I agree with Skip...It better be very very clean... I paid only $600 for my 92 Loyale 2 1/2 years ago. (FWD 5 spd all toys but cruise had 156,000 miles )

If you do get it I might be able to help ya out with the power steering unit...I happen to have a spare with reservoir.

Also is the car 4WD?? If its only FWD it is not worth it (just in my opinion)

Good luck to you!

I drive an 86 GL Wagon - I love it, but it has multiple expensive difficulties Soo I'm looking at an 88 GL wagon today. Guy claims to have all paperwork re; repairs and maintenance. 97,000 miles, new clutch, timing belt. The only unresolved problems he reports are:

Power steering reservoir needs replacing sometime - not urgent (he says)

Needs some sort of tailpipe extension that will allow car to pass emissions - he is planning to do this himself before I see the car later today.

Car is selling for $1400 (US) and I do not want to lose it!

But I cannot insist he take it through emissions testing today because they are closed for Christmas and will not re-open until Tuesday the 27th.

I really hope someone can tell me whether his statements that the power steering reservoir is not urgent and that a tailpipe problem could really be the reason a car didn't pass emissions testing are reasonable, and therefore, most likely true?

Many thanks to anyone who can offer advice. I just love these wagons!

how recent are the reapirs? when were the timing belts done? i'd also be wary of the "tailpipe problem".. it seems convenient for him that the holiday prevents it from being emission tested.. if its 4wd and in decent shape, it seeems like a good price. however in my neck of the woods, soobs go for a lot more $$.

A vehicle with complete and accurate records can save you hundreds of dollars in preventative maintenance, so this would justify a slightly higher price, IMO. In reality, this value of this information goes way beyond dollars and cents. The fact that it is an 88 (FI) model would also increase it's value. I would give this car serious consideration, but only if the unibody is solid.

The pump is not a major repair issue, but will give you a little bargaining power. Same with the tailpipe. Don't wait on him to get it fixed. I'd make a fair "as-is" cash offer. Maybe up to $1250 if it isn't too rusty, and is clean inside and out.

good luck, John