Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head GAsket done now this?

Finished the head gasket job on my 1990 loyale 1.8 EA82 Turbo and started it up. It seems to no leak coolant as before and runs excellent but still burns oil, mostly smokes up right where the turbo meats the intake, from underneath so I cant pinpoint a spot. ALso when the engine is hot and is turned off, it doesnt start as easy as when it is cold, I have to turn it over for a while and give it gas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Before looking at expensive/time-consuming problems: Have you made sure that your PVC system is working properly? If it is not, you can get all sorts of oil blown/sucked into intake manifold.

Is there noise of an exhaust leak near the turbo? The x-over/uppipe is prone to cracking at its turbo flange, releasing whatever oil smoke it has around the turbo.

Is it oil smoke or coolant smoke? Either way, check the hoses and banjo-fittings at the turbo for tightness and leaking.

Before looking at expensive/time-consuming problems: Have you made sure that your PVC system is working properly? If it is not, you can get all sorts of oil blown/sucked into intake manifold.

Is there noise of an exhaust leak near the turbo? The x-over/uppipe is prone to cracking at its turbo flange, releasing whatever oil smoke it has around the turbo.

Is it oil smoke or coolant smoke? Either way, check the hoses and banjo-fittings at the turbo for tightness and leaking.

The exhaust has a leak near the turbo, it is kind of loud. I think my pcv valve is in terrible condition cuz I havent changfed it since before the head gasket was blown and some of the pipes were filled with crud. I can see some bubbeling coming out of one of the turbo gaskets, this might mean bad seal but it doesnt seem to be smoking from there. I will work with the pcv system and see what I find.

The exhaust has a leak near the turbo, it is kind of loud. I think my pcv valve is in terrible condition cuz I havent changfed it since before the head gasket was blown and some of the pipes were filled with crud. I can see some bubbeling coming out of one of the turbo gaskets, this might mean bad seal but it doesnt seem to be smoking from there. I will work with the pcv system and see what I find.

The crudded pcv hoses should be dealt with; restrictions will cause it not to flow air and separate oil properly.

"Bubbling out of one of the turbo gaskets"??? Which gasket? What type of bubbling, and what material is bubbling? And depending on what and where, this could be a fire hazard.