Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Washer nozzles not adjustable?

Just tried to adjust the washer nozzles on my 03 legacy, only to discover that they don't look adjustable!

With every old car i've owned, could could stick a pin into the nozzle & aim it. Not so here.

Is there no way to adjust this, b/c the fluid shooting over my car

Oops! guess i wasn't clear. The nozzles in the 03 look like they aren't even designed to move. In my old subes, each nozzle has two little round outlets that you can stick a pin into & move around to aim properly.

in the 03, the assembly is just a big "square" with one hole where the fluid shoots out. It doesn't look like it can move at all.

So the fluid is coming out, but is so forceful that it flies over the car to the rear window!!

they could just be stuck.i had same prob on my 92 legacy.i managed to move um with a needle (not before braking the tip off inside one)

you could try removing them from the hood and soak em in hot water to unstick em.

you could put an in-line resistor on the line to the windshield wiper fluid pump... drop it's voltage.. get less range... :rolleyes:

That might actually work, as it seems not much else did:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15552

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-434985.html

I do have a low-tech idea. I wonder if restricting the flow in the tubing a bit might help. That could be done with a plastic wire tie around the tube, gradually cinching it down until the output is sufficiently lessened. Of course, if you go too far, since they don't release very readily, you'd have to cut the tie off (carefully, avoiding nicking the tubing) and start again.

Or, go for higher viscosity fluid; try adding Jello :rolleyes: ?

--OB99W

In the late 90's, they switched from the adjustable 'stream' style nozzles to the non adjustable 'fan spray' nozzles. I was going to upgrade on my 97 OB until I found out that they were not adjustable. The mechanic said some people had complained about them (usually too low I think), but nothing they could do really.

I added some adjustable fan style ones from CTC. Very easy to do, very inexpensive. The only problem was that they flowed more than the original ones. When I first replaced just the driver side one, it was ok. Once I replaced the passenger one too, the spray didn't have enough "oomph" anymore. The issue is that the greater flow results in lower pressure, therefore the spray is pushed down quicker / more easily by the wind when driving.

I noticed that the ex's Honda had a narrower slot and finer spray. I found a Honda nozzle with the correct "bend" to the hose connection and put them on. I did have to do a tiny bit of filing of the notch in the hood, but with a drop of Rust Check on the metal, I wasn't too worried (about rust). They work very well, and are adjustable. I'd say that they still flow more than the original nozzles did, but not by much. It's acceptable (to me).

Btw, I also added a top mount spray nozzle on my hatch (again, one from a Honda that fit perfectly). That however, was a little more work, but worth it in the end.

Commuter

In the late 90's, they switched from the adjustable 'stream' style nozzles to the non adjustable 'fan spray' nozzles. I was going to upgrade on my 97 OB until I found out that they were not adjustable. The mechanic said some people had complained about them (usually too low I think), but nothing they could do really.

I added some adjustable fan style ones from CTC. Very easy to do, very inexpensive. The only problem was that they flowed more than the original ones. When I first replaced just the driver side one, it was ok. Once I replaced the passenger one too, the spray didn't have enough "oomph" anymore. The issue is that the greater flow results in lower pressure, therefore the spray is pushed down quicker / more easily by the wind when driving.

I noticed that the ex's Honda had a narrower slot and finer spray. I found a Honda nozzle with the correct "bend" to the hose connection and put them on. I did have to do a tiny bit of filing of the notch in the hood, but with a drop of Rust Check on the metal, I wasn't too worried (about rust). They work very well, and are adjustable. I'd say that they still flow more than the original nozzles did, but not by much. It's acceptable (to me).

Btw, I also added a top mount spray nozzle on my hatch (again, one from a Honda that fit perfectly). That however, was a little more work, but worth it in the end.

Commuter

OT question. Tell me about Rust Check because I bought some splash gurads for my car that likely will require some drilling but the thought of exposing the metal is a little frightening. I had considered using some silicone or other sealant to help prevent moisture from getting to the area - but a substance that is applied to the holes to deter rust appeals to me. I guess it is common knowledge to some folks. is it readily availabel?

tia