Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well.. I feel Slow...

Yup, gotta agree with you on that. Now if we lived in Japan, that would be a different story cause then we might all be on a Skyline board or something. I've got the IROC and the v6 Camaro (going to be a bigblock) because I love to go fast AND have the ability to say I probably got a million horses and whatnot. The RX is a car that keeps me entertained and it also gives me something to have that says 'Hey, yeah I modded this and put it in there and this and this and this" Most imports in the US are quick, not fast. If you want a fast import, better get one imported from overseas and start there. Gives you a good base platform for an import muscle car basically....

Okay, I agree with the V8s being cheaper to mod, but I disagree with what you said about the Skyline(hehe, I got something up my sleeve!).

Most Nissan Skylines that you will encounter, aren't quite as fast as you would think. Some people in the street racing community have blown them up to be more powerful than what they really are. The RB20DET and RB25DET are the most common motors that you will find here(Skyline GTS-T & GTS2.5-T). They are about as common as Hondas are in the US. They aren't near the power monsters that we all believe them to be. Yes, like any car, they can be made fast with alot of time and money. But they aren't the fastest things on the road. The only Skyline that I would truely fear is the GTR(RB26DETT), especially when modded. It's the one that will blow your doors off, spank you, and then send you to bed with no dinner. There is another car on the road that can kill the Skyline if modded, and it will do it with stealth. The car is called the Mark II Tourer V(JZX90) and the 100 Series Chaser(JZX100), which is a subdivision of Toyota. This car comes with a 2.5L 1JZGTE twin turbo powerplant producing 280hp from the factory, runs a 13.6 quarter mile time(with an Automatic transmission) in stock trim, and with light mods(High-flow intake & free flowing exhaust) is a blood thirsty street killer. The funny thing is, it is a 4-door family car, rear wheel drive, with great handling and power straight out of the box! This car can reliably run around 600whp with completely stock internals. Here is a link to some pics:http://www.japanesesportcars.com/galleries/cat68.htm

Here is some info on them:

Chaser:http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/6604/

Tourer V:http://www.auto.vl.ru/catalog_eng/7941/

Now this is a true supercar!!!

Patrick

WHOA! Not so fast there. What is your definition of "mild?" First off, mild to me, means adding something along the lines of cold-air intake, exhaust(including a header), and maybe, just maybe an adjustable FPR. That is where most Honda owners that are trying to build a "mild" setup start out. Secondly, B16 dual cam motors are not as common an engine as you may think. Not every Tom, wongleflute, and Harry has one installed in their Honda. Saddest thing is, when you do find one, 9 times outta 10, unless you know what to look for, you have to get a mechanic to check it out because most have lived in abusive enviroments anyway. Now then, I have been working on Hondas for quite a while now. I have worked on so many that it makes my head swim:burnout: . I am not going to lie, I do like the B16(A, A1, & A2), but most guys DO NOT have B16 engines under the hood. Most have D15s, D16s(A, Z, &Y series), F22s(for the accords unless they are V6s), H22s for the later model Preludes, and in most Integra's, you'll find the good ol' B18, unless it is a Type-R or GSR(B18C5). Any of which a nicely modded EA82T will keep up with, if not outrun. I know mine can. I don't know how many cars with bolt ons I've beaten in my GL-10 Wagon(Yes its a wagon. That is what makes winning so funny.). I don't even know how much power I'm producing either, but it must be enough. Just in case you are wondering, here is my list of mods:

Custom 3" fenderwell intake

Woven Stainless Steel filter element

SRP Manual Boost Controller (Boost adjusted up to 11psi)

N/A EA82 Distributor(timing has been advanced)

NGK Iridium plugs

Accel Super Coil(Big Square looking Yellow one)

Custom 2-1/4" Bellmouth downpipe w/ CATCO cat(about a 1ft from it's stock location)

Custom bent 2-1/4" exhaust w/N1 style canister muffler + 1 inline resonator

Adjustable FPR(fuel pressure @ 42psi)

New Fuel Pump(produces 95psi line pressure vs. stock 70psi)

Mitsubishi Starion Intercooler w/ custom piping

100% recirculating BPV

WRX oem hood scoop

RhinoPac Clutch kit

The only Hondas that I won't take on in my GL-10 is a turbocharged one or a Honda bike. Anything else is fair game. So don't sit there and preach to me that a mildly modded Civic would outdo a well modded EA82T. Especially not your average, everyday mildly modded Civic. If he were to just do a TD04 swap and add a little fuel, he would have been pulling away from that Honda guy with no problem(unless he started running out of road). And that is the true reality of it.

And the only reason why Honda guys can build "budget" racecars, is the simple fact that there is a rather gigantic following in the aftermarket world for them. There is even a huge aftermarket for old & new school V6s & V8s. But old school Subaru guys like us have to custom fabricate most of our own performance parts. We are the forgotten few. That is why it gets so expensive to build up EA82Ts. But you have to be determined and know exactly what you want out of the motor. I have done some research on these motors and asked a few question around here too. Sometimes it is just the thrill of the chase that keeps us going. That is one of the biggest reasons why we swap so much information on the forum. We are a pretty tight knit community because most of us share the same common goal. And that goal is,"Stickin' it to The Man.":lol:

Patrick

So, youre going to preach to me about the racing prowess of the EA82T and youre "11 psi of boost" and then in THE SAME EXACT POST say that you will race any Honda except "a bike OR A TURBOCHARGED ONE"! Thanks for proving my point. I dont know how it is where you are, but around here, junkyard turbo'd hatches are a dime a dozen, and B16s are about knee deep. I know this because I HATE THEM! I would call exhaust, intake, ignition, sometimes a dry shot of NOS (20-60 hp), and lots and lots of lightening a mild Honda, and an EA82t XT isnt gonna catch one of those till WAYYY after the quarter has ended. GAME OVER. I think its safe to say that quarter mile drag racing and freeway grudge matches are the most common types of races. So unless we're talking about racing down the Audobahn, I'd pick a different approach to smoke a Honda. Trust me, theres plenty of ways to skin that cat, but the EA82t just isnt a PRACTICAL, LOGICAL, or even REALISTIC choice.

With the TWE header, TWE DP, an intake, AWIC, stock boost and stock everything else, I took down an Integra GSR on the highway. Last I checked the GSR's are B18's and VTEC.

I have MINIMAL mods.

Again...I only have a header, full turbo back, an air to water intercooler (Toyota ST165 unit), and an intake. Everything else is stock. I was even on stock boost at the time.

I thought the GSR's were fast? They are classed in STX...and STX is a class for 'quick' cars.

No one truely knows the limits of the EA82.

Last I checked the bore was 92MM.

Wait? Whats that? Did i hear that ALL EJ20x's have a 92MM bore as well? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........................

The A10's are light. Wait? Hondas are light? Really? wow...stock for stock weight is similar. EXCLUDING older Si's and CRX models.

Last I checked you can only get about 200~250 hp and no TQ out of a B series honda engine in N/A form....thats even with spending lots of $ on EMS and other parts. Go turbo and you make more power and some TQ.

Last I checked I made 240hp and 320tq at the crank on a stock EA82T with the only difference being I made the stock turbo push 15 psi and I had an Air to Air intercooler (USDM STi). Thats like...'impossible'. :rolleyes:

Lets see...

USDM STi: Average weight is 3250....stock power is 300/300. 10.8 power to weight ratio.

USDM EJ205 WRX: Average weight is 3100....stock power is 227/218. 13.9 power to weight ratio.

WJM RX: Average weight is 2550....power is 240/320. 9.1 power to weight ratio.

I win.

The fact remains, I could strap a 350 into a cheap Chevrolet body of ANY year between 1957 to about 1995 (the uglier and stranger the better) and kick the crap (AND I MEAN CRAP) out of your car. Plus I would still have plenty of money left over for beer or another toy! Or I could be lazy, wait for a government auction and purchase a Caprice ex-police car for next to nothing. Then hand you your @$$ in style in comfort while adjust my POWER EVERYTHING! I dont need to make up any formulas to prove this because its been going on FOREVER!

I win.

Lets just let things rest.

The EA82T is a dog. Try to get enough power to beat any other car... and clear a spot in the garage. Cause 2 weeks later, you'll be replacing the blown motor with another.

Call B.S. Will.... but you know its the truth, how many engines has your RX gone through?

-Brian

Lets just let things rest.

The EA82T is a dog. Try to get enough power to beat any other car... and clear a spot in the garage. Cause 2 weeks later, you'll be replacing the blown motor with another.

Call B.S. Will.... but you know its the truth, how many engines has your RX gone through?

-Brian

THANK YOU!

I LOVE my EA81 wagon, but I realize it wont be winning any road races any time soon!

okay guys time to cool some jets

I guess I started this with my

silly "Turbo'd V Tec" crack

so I am going to finish it

If you want to soup and beans up your

EA

Please use the search engine

there are many posts to help you

Thread closed