Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The SVX headlight mod

Tycho

http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/.Pictures/misc/svx_lights/index.html

:headbang:

The mounts for them aren't quite done...but that's just a few minutes of sheet metal work. Good to know there's a use for that bloated luxo mobile. I wonder what I should do with the EG33 that's laying about in my basement...

Just need some new turn signals (and a new bumper) now. Anyone in AK have one handy? If not...anyone in the states who has one handy willing to ship it to AK?

Hey watch the useless SVX comments. :)

Now you need to get 2-2005 headlight bulbs, grind the 2 tabs off inside the connector and then trim 1/16 off larger tab so you can run the brighter bulb in place of the stock 2006 headlight bulbs. Just compare the tabs on the old bulbs so you can see which one that needs to be trimmed to fit into the lights.

You will like this upgrade. It was one of the first things I did to my SVX so I could see at night. :)

Thanks for the tip on the bulbs!

My EA-82 lights weren't doing so hot. There were multiple holes in the housing, the internal reflector thing was broken out of one and nearly broken out of the other. I've had a positive experience with plastic housings on my Saturn...so we'll see how these SVX units do. And I mean...they were just lying around in "the SVX." Free is free.

Ok. Now it's done.

http://homepage.mac.com/dgiessel/.Pictures/misc/svx_lights2/index.html

Got 4 HIR bulbs on the way that should brighten things up further. Wired the fogs so they are on w/ the marker lights (tho they emit such a pathetic amount of light they might as well be off)...dunno if I'm going to wire the lows so they stay on when the high beams are on. I think the HIR bulbs will make that rather worthless as the high beams will really be kicking rump roast then (even now wiht a regular 9005 bulb you can't tell if the lows are off or on when the highs are on).

The verdict...even w/ the "normal" 9005 high bulb the lights destroy my water filled foggy as hell glass units.

I find myself thinking... why? But what the he||, its not my car. The EA82 Subes actually have good lights. Its the first gen Legacys that need some help.

i'm not sure what you call good lights, but my ea82's headlights are horrible. they just plain suck.i even have silver star bulbs, those dam lenses are horrible. now on topic, you need a grill man, im sure that would make it look quite a bit better. i know why you put in those headlights, nice work. now ya just need fog lights :lol:

Look better? How does one improve on perfection? :P Look at it this way...it COULD have a tribeca grille... Oops... "B9 Tribeca"

I don't think a grille would distract anyone from the massive fender rust or very stylish rust outline all the way around the windshield...or the dents all over.

The fog lights are the center most ones. They don't do a damn thing as far as lighting...but they look kinda cool.

i'm not sure what you call good lights, but my ea82's headlights are horrible. they just plain suck.i even have silver star bulbs, those dam lenses are horrible. now on topic, you need a grill man, im sure that would make it look quite a bit better. i know why you put in those headlights, nice work. now ya just need fog lights :lol:

Nice work...i know i can't see anything with my lights...but maybe you should clean it up a bit...plasma cut (or hack saw it if nothing like that is avaliable..) a peace of aliminum to fit around and paint it black..that might clean it up a little more....

Then get a grill....but other than that nice work...i think i might look into doing this mod...it would definetly be worth it...i better do the altenator upgrade as well, or it will probably burn out as soon as i turn the lights on...lol

-Bill