Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So How Hard is it.....

....to swap out the ignition switch on an EA82?? Tilt steering....Herd conflicting storys....heard that its easier to just change out the whole steering column..then herd its not so bad to change just the switch.

I believe thats where all my electrical gremlins are coming from since most are fixed with a wiggle,push,and twist of the key...the only one that that trick doesnt always fix is the radio issue...but it seems if its above freezing it works (go figure).

I have to do something soon cause it is getting worse and it being that time of year I need to be able to use my wipers alot more.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

the ignition switch must be drilled out. the bolt holding it on has a head that shears off when they install it, so it's just flat.

it's been awhile so i'll wait to fill in my vague memories in hopes of someone posting something useful!

on the XT6 there's a tiny tiny screw that falls out preventing the car from starting. maybe yours is loose? never heard of it causing electrical issues though.

Gary has it correct. After removing the cosmetic trim stuff, there are two small screws to remove the ignition switch itself. Then there are the two screws that hold the lock mechanism; they can be drilled out or drill and use an easy out to unscrew. New screws and you're on your way to putting it back together. The trick is finding a good lock and having it re-keyed to match your key. If you're getting the lock mechanism from a junkyard, get the two lock cylinders for the doors also. The passenger side cylinder will have the key code stamped on it so your locksmith can make a "virgin" key with which to make a few spare keys. I've learned to do the door locks in about 5 minutes a side so it's not too difficult and worth the extra effort not to have different keys for the ignition and doors. The other alternative is to find a competent locksmith to can replace the ignition lock cylinder in your existing ignition lock. It's about a 90 minute job plus the cost of a new lock cylinder if he can find one locally. I had it done to both of my '84 brats for about $120 each. You'll have to shop around for a competent "old school" locksmith willing and able to do this, but it can be done without removing the ignition lock mechanism itself. Again, having him make a "master" key from the number on the passenger side door cylinder will make everything last longer in the future.

Great news about your upcoming marriage. Your guy couldn't find a better person! Lucky him (and smart too).