Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Buying a Brumby

Gday all, Im looking at buying a brumby very soon as i have just sold my wrangler and was wondering what to look for?

what years are better, or is it just a case of going for the newest one.

What kind of kms do u get out of the engines, iv seen them for sale with 300 000km on them.

Any place they get rust that might be hard to see?

It will be use for mild off road and as a work car.

Iv been doing a fair bit of net surfing and think i might build my self a 4" BL and run some 29" muddies.

Also i still havent read what the differance is between a ea81 and a ea82.

Thanks Shane

Well, kind of a noob to all this so any reply is better then none... I think.. any way here is my simple point of view. Say high to the flies! *read Associated press about the fly fun you guys are having.

Gday all, Im looking at buying a brumby very soon as i have just sold my wrangler and was wondering what to look for?

I like the Brats... can't find 4x4 hatches in my area so I settled for wagons as they seem to be cheaper... and cheap is important to me.

what years are better, or is it just a case of going for the newest one.

I like pre 1990 as the engines EA-81 & 82 are bolt together and take very few special tools and replacement is easy. Also parts are cheap... but age is a factor.

What kind of kms do u get out of the engines, iv seen them for sale with 300 000km on them. 300,oookm.... hmmm... average 200,000 and most still running.... ?

Any place they get rust that might be hard to see? Brats up in the rear wheel-wells, others...?

It will be use for mild off road and as a work car. Dito...

Iv been doing a fair bit of net surfing and think i might build my self a 4" BL and run some 29" muddies. :brow: ooo.

Also i still havent read what the differance is between a ea81 and a ea82.

81 has timing chain, simpler engine from what I have read as I have never cracked one open, the 82 has two or one timing belt (s) under the plastic covers on front. Both very dependable motors...

Thanks Shane

Good luck. What got me hooked is I can still work on these cars. I scratch my head a bit but doesn't take too many special tools to work and and kind of challenging.... plus my son can run cheaply.

The ea81 is an ohv engine, no timing belt or chain, the cam shaft is gear driven. the ea82 is an ohc engine, timing belt that must be replaced every 80,000kms or so.

I have an ea81 with 320,000kms on it, and it still goes well, so it is possible to find a good one with very high mileage - just be careful, as they wont all last that long!